Chapter 13

An hour into their trek home, the Dominant noticed his mate was starting to lag behind.

He looked back and couldn't help but chuckle at the sight of his mate walking half asleep - just like when they were trying to find their new home.

"Hey, you okay?" he asked softly, nuzzling him when he went to walk side by side with him.

"...I'm still tired," Sonic said, plopping down on his rump as he sighed heavily, "I still haven't had a chance to recover from everything...."

Shadow even noticed his legs were trembling from trying to hold himself up from where he sat.

Glancing round, Shadow noticed a small cropping of rocks, creating a little cave with their formation.

"How about we rest for a while? Over there," he said, motioning to the rocks.

Sonic nodded tiredly and gently picking up his bag, he slowly followed Shadow.

The ebony lizard gently set the bag he'd been carrying down at the back of the small cave, making sure that each of the eggs were stood the right way up.

Sonic did the same with the other three and near collapsed to the cool, cave floor from fatigue.

He groaned in pain at the sharp cramp of hunger in his empty stomach and the bad headache he was getting because of it.

But he was too tired to care...

But a gentle nuzzle from his mate had him awake once more.

"Sonic, I need you to stay awake love, I'm going to go hunting," he explained.

"Okay..." the tired uke yawned, curling up around all his eggs.

"Is there anyway that you can hide us till you get back?" He asked sleepily, "I don't wanna wake up to anymore surprises...."

"I'll see what I can do," Shadow smiled, nuzzling his mate before exiting the cave and looking for something to block the entrance.

And looking around at the rocky outcropping that the rocks made, he was able to use one of the large boulders to push in front of the entrance till he got back, Sonic giving him smile from inside before the entrance was fully sealed and Shadow had his mate and children safely tucked away from prying eyes.

The older lizard then went off hunting, deciding that the best thing to hunt would be something large and bulky with plenty of meat onits bones.

A nice-sized Garundi bison should do.

He and Sonic would need all the strength they could get in order to get back to their home territory. Plus, the eggs would hatch in about a week or less, and they would be very busy then.

A smile came to his face at the thought of having six little ones running around.

But he was soon distracted as he came across a small watering hole.

He went to quench his thirst before going back into the cover of the woods to await any thirsty prey.

It didn't take long before a small pack of five bison came down to the watering hole, there were two large, bulky males, two thinner females and a young calf.

Shadow licked his lips at the sight, trying to figure out just which one to pick.

The calf would be the easiest to kill. That was true, but there wasn't much meat on the calf, and it was a female so there was even less meat. That and the tricky part would be getting it away from the males who were very protective of their young.