Chapter 20

A/N: Sorry for such a long wait on a new update, but here's a lengthy chapter to make up for it! Only one more chapter to go! And as always, please enjoy and comment!! ^^

~

In less than an hour, the two Black Arms Dominants' familiarity of their territory came into view, both knowing that their cave wasn't too far away from there.

Their ears perked as they heard all their pups' playful yips and squeaks turn excited as they heard their daddies returning.

Shadow smiled as he saw his babies running/stumbling out of the cave, their mother right behind them to make sure they didn't get hurt.

"Welcome back, love," Sonic smiled though he was curious as to why he was carrying their dinner on his back. Shouldn't Mephiles be helping him?

He got his answer when he looked at the other twin. Gasping in shock at what he was carrying.

"Oh my god," he whispered in horror the state of the baby, asking, "Meph? Who's pup is this?"

With a look of pain Meph gently set the pup down, "Her parents are dead, Sonic... Humans laid traps right outside their den...They never stood a chance."

Sonic gasped and his eyes saddened, "Why that's... that's awful!!"

"It wasn't the prettiest of sights, believe me..." Shadow admitted, looking down sullenly. The images were still fresh in his mind and would unfortunately remain there for a while.

"And she's so thin..." Sonic said sadly, leaning down to nuzzle the whimpering pup before he gently picked her up and carried her back inside, his own curious children scampering behind him.

With a worried glance at one another, the twins followed the azure male into the cave, Shadow setting the bull down at the back of the cave before joining the others.

Mephiles saw Sonic take the pup over to Silver, their pups currently nursing, and when Silver saw the state of the baby as she instantly latched onto his side to suckle, his eyes too grew saddened and worried.

"....She's going to need parents, Meph," his Submissive murmured to his mate, glancing up at him with his beautiful yet anxious amber eyes.

The Dominant blinked in surprise at Silver's sudden words.

"Are you saying what I think you're saying, Silv?" he asked curiously.

Silver blushed before nodding, "There's no way that we can leave her on her own. She's just a baby..."

He then gently began to nuzzle her as she continued nursing, softly purring to comfort her as he continued to say, "She's around the same age as our own pups since her eyes aren't even open yet and Sonic is busy enough with his own little ones...."

"Can we keep her?" he pleaded with his mate, his tail curling around all the nursing pups in a motherly embrace.

"I was preparing myself to beg you if you'd have thought otherwise," Meph sighed in relief with a smile as he nuzzled the silver male lovingly.

"Well, we'll make sure she's loved and well taken care of, just like the others," the near white Submissive purred to his mate as he began to gently clean the still nursing pup.

"Indeed we will," Meph smiled as he looked at the little girl and only then did he get a chance to take in all her details. The entirety of her scaled body was a light gray--a little bit lighter than Slate's own dark gray coloring-- with a her quills being a light teal in color. And judging from her quill color, she would most likely grow up to have the turquoise striped marking all the way down her back and to the tip of her tail like Meph. Who knows, she may just even grow to have the matching stripes on her legs like him too because in all honesty, she already looked like she was Meph and Silver's child.