Past the Red

This one is related to the Swap series of Brotherly Blunders, but can definitely stand on its own for those of you that haven't read Brotherly Blunders. Hope you enjoy!

————————

Slash was not surprised when Leonardo dropped in that night as they were preparing for evening patrol. And he said 'dropped in' because when one has a skylight in their HQ, one can expect stealthier visitors to prefer that to the door. Though the leader of the turtles was certainly not expected, the Mighty Mutanimals had gotten rather used to him just casually 'dropping in' to talk to Slash. Leo usually came with questions about Raphael, describing certain situations or encounters they'd been having that he wasn't sure how to respond to or deal with, and Slash would respond with advice. But today, Leonardo seemed to be in a rather dark mood. All four of the Mighty Mutanimals could feel it and they sent their leader wary glances.

"Leatherhead, lead the patrol. Leo and I need to talk."

"Are you sure, my friend?"

Slash nodded. "Call if you need help."

The alligator mutant nodded and they left. As soon as the door slammed behind them, Leonardo spoke.

"You always say that he wants to be closer to us, but every single time I try he shoves me away!" Leo growled angrily.

Slash's defenses flew up and his fists clenched. "That's because you're smothering him, you're trying too hard and it's got him convinced that there's some kind of catch!"

"There's no point in trying if he won't even let me close!"

Slash advanced a step and poked Leo in the chest. "And that's exactly why you've never been able to understand!"

Leo's anger lessened, but his posture remained haughty and stern. "Just what is it that I don't understand, Slash? What is it that I don't get? Raphael has problems, same as the rest of us, why is that so hard for us to understand?"

"Do you remember the time Master Splinter had the three of you insult him in training?"

Dark blue eyes narrowed. "You've mentioned that before."

A wave of anger swept over the larger mutant and he snarled. "You really didn't notice anything different about him that week?" he scoffed, bitterly, "Some brother."

"That's uncalled for!" Leo snapped.

"Is it? Is it really?! You clearly have no idea what affect your words had on him!"

Suddenly, Leo's anger was gone, replaced with confusion and concern. "What do you mean?"

Slash sighed, his shoulders drooped and he sat with his back to the eldest turtle. "Raphael spent two extra hours in the dojo every day that week working on his form." Slash allowed the statement some time to sink in. When Leonardo still didn't respond he growled. "What's the matter? Aren't you smart enough to find the connection?"

Thinking hard for another minute, the answer finally came to him. His eyes widened. No, Raph wouldn't—not just because of— He stared at Slash's spiked carapace.

"He didn't—it wasn't—not because of Mikey saying that he moved—"

"—like a bloated buffalo." After letting that sink in for a moment, Slash went on, "Tell me, Leo, what injuries did Raphael suffer that week?"

Leo paused and considered. "He hurt his hand. Got some glass shards in it or something. Donnie said he'd punched his—mirror."

This time Slash could tell he wouldn't have to elaborate. Leonardo had already connected the dots, but still, Slash wanted Leo to know just how deeply Raph had been hurt. "He didn't sleep for an entire week. Every time he walked past a reflective surface he paused, depressed by what he saw. He was torn and confused. He didn't really think he was ugly, but always in the back of his mind, there was someone shouting it out at him."