Terrible Truths

Right off the bat, I wanna let you guys know that this is not my usual style. This is, in my opinion, quite a bit darker than I usually go with the turtles. But I wrote it out and I liked it so, hey, let's put it out there. 

It's short and bitter. Absolutely no sweetness to speak of in this one. Hope you enjoy it anyway.

Instead of being about Brotherly Bonds, it's more centered on a bond shattered by jealousy.

P.S. Warning! Contains some use of foul language. 

—————————

It was just a normal fight, another run of the mill argument with Raphael. The same mundane argument that they had every night about whether or not Raph should leave the lair alone had escalated into something larger, as per usual. This time Raph was pushing it. They'd scraped with the Foot too often for Leo's liking lately and the last thing he needed was for Raph to go off half-cocked and land them smack in the middle of another jam.

Fearless even said as much, but of course simple-minded, hotheaded Raphael had only plunged further into an argument! Grrrr...sometimes he was just so unbearably frustrating! What would it take to get through that thick skull that Leo was trying to protect him.

"I don't need your protection! I can take care of myself! I ain't a damn child, Leo!"

Oh, of course, he'd forgotten, Raph was just too damn prideful to let go and admit just for once that Leo was right! The leader's eyes narrowed, his posture straightened and he ordered Raphael to stay in.

"I don't listen to your freaking orders just because you're my older brother!"

"I'm the leader! Splinter chose me—"

"Fuck Splinter!"

SHING!

"Aaaah! Fuck!"

For a few moments, Leonardo stood, breathing heavily, until the realization of what he'd done fluttered slowly down upon him. He felt cold, horrified. Bewildered eyes traveled down to his hand where he clutched a shuriken between his fingers. The red liquid that slid down it, staining his wrappings wasn't his own.

The light in Raphael's bright green eyes shone more than ever. Leo stammered to say something, anything, but the words just wouldn't come. Raph seemed to understand that they weren't going to.

A choked call of "Raph," escaped Leo's lips, but died in the open air.

Terror—horror—filled him. He was repulsed by what he had done. The pain he had inflicted on his own brother was massive. He could see it. He could see tears of anguish wetting the corners of Raph's eyes. The red-masked turtle's mouth was set in an ugly grimace. Yet, something eerie and disconcerting tinged the expression, as well: a twisted, rueful smile.

Leo shuddered.

"I said fuck Splinter, Leo! I'm amazed you finally cracked. I was wondering how long it would take you. Welcome to the other side of the line, big brother. Or should I say, welcome to the edge. It's all down from here."

Leo stared at his brother, his anger welling up inside of him once again.

Raph rubbed salt in the wound. "Been wondering a long time: How long before the Fearless leader cracks? Before the first of our blood is spilt upon his hands."

"Shut up, Raph. It'll never happen again." Leo said, determinately shaking his head.

"Sure it won't." Raph sneered.