Alternatives

Here it finally is, everybody! The sequel to Picky Portals! Man this took forever.

You know, I realized that I've reached thirty chapters in this story. I think I'd like to keep these at about thirty chapters a piece, so this is the final chapter of Brotherly Bonds. Don't worry; I will soon be posting a new collection of oneshots called Brotherly Baggage.

So enjoy the last chapter everybody!

———————————

I watched my brother head towards the freaky sphere with his head held high. I had never felt more terrified and more proud. My little brother. My little brother truly was a hero. But—the sacrifice. He can't, I won't allow it! I can't lose him, none of us can.

"You can't do this." I whispered, one of my hands extending only to fall away limply as Raph shook his head. I felt as though glass shards were slicing into my heart.

"I have to, Leo." He looked at our little brothers sadly and turned back to me. "Please, whatever happens, take care of our little brothers."

Bleary-eyed, I shook my head. "I will." I honestly have no idea how I managed it, but I didn't stutter at all even though my throat was closing up.

"Promise?"

"Promise." He smirked.

I choked, my strength wavering. The sight of his answering smirk made me want to yell, laugh, and cry all at once.

We watched with bated breath as our hotheaded sibling jumped into the green sphere surrounding the strange man. Suddenly there was a blinding explosion and a blood-curdling scream hit the air, the likes of which I had never heard before. The voice was one that I knew well. Every bit of air left in my lungs was forced out in a desperate, tortured cry of my brother's name. I darted forward, blinded by light and the need to reach Raphael. The bright orb of light exploded. I was flying backwards, my head hit something hard, and the world went dark.

Did any of that really happen? Or was it just a dream?

When I awoke, a blurred green and purple head was leaning over me. I blinked a few times and my vision cleared. Donnie's face was grave. I sat up slowly and raised a hand to rub the back of my head, but found out it was wrapped in bandages.

"Donnie?"

"Severe concussion. You had us real worried for a while there. How you feeling?"

"Not so hot." I admitted honestly.

He nodded, but said nothing.

"You guys alright?"

"Mikey and I are fine. Minor injuries."

"Raph?" I asked insistently.

Don avoided my gaze. "Leo..."

Every muscle in my body tensed. I surged forward and seized Donnie by the shoulders, almost falling off the lab table in the process.

He stabilized me. His face was very grave and there was no emotion in his eyes. Panic rose up in my gut.

"Donnie, where's my little brother?"

His lip trembled. His eyes fell to the floor of the lab, tellingly.

"No." I gasped. My arms gave out and I fell back on my elbows. Tears flooded my face. Not Raph. Not my little brother. Please, no. In my minds eye I could see his face. The striking neon green eyes that had held so much fire and passion were pale and soulless. My brother was gone and all that lay before me was a lifeless shell. "Raphael..." I whispered.