Beautiful Lie

There was a time above. A time before. When dreams become our life goals. Dreams, goals, love, and friendship were all perfect things in our world. However, those perfect things, like pieces of glass, can become fragile.

A group of people, wearing black clothing, are headed towards the top of the hill, within the Pallet Town Cemetery. Behind them, there's a woman, named Delia, carrying a small box, which contains the ashes of a fallen hero.

Things fall... into the deep dark abyss. And what falls... gets broken.

A young girl, named Serena, suddenly runs away from the group.

When she runs off, a young male, named Trevor, yells out, "Serena, wait! Serena! Serena, it's alright! Serena, please!"

His voice faded away as Serena kept on running towards a forest nearby. As she runs, tears are flying off her face. After entering the forest, her mind starts to play a memory from her childhood.

---

A shady forest in Kanto where a younger Serena is lost, looking for the rest of her group. She's suddenly scared by a rustling in the bushes, which causes her to trip and injure her leg.

The rustling Pokémon is only a Poliwag, which quickly runs away. Scared by her surroundings and wanting to go home, Serena begins to cry, while lamenting that she didn't even want to go to the camp.

At the height of her despair, she cries for her mother. She hears another rustling in the bushes and leans back, afraid of what it might be.

---

While running through the forest, Serena suddenly stops and stares at a tree. She pulls out a blue handkerchief. She held it very tightly, close to her chest. The tree symbolizes the spot where she met the boy of her dreams. The handkerchief is all she has left of him now.

---

Calling out for the Poliwag that ran by, just now, a younger boy emerges from the bushes and asks what Serena's doing. He introduces himself, as Ash, to put her at ease and asks her name in return, as well as to what the matter is.

Serena sniffs and states that her leg hurts, to which the boy pulls out the same handkerchief. He ties it around Serena's leg as a bandage and calls it a good luck charm to put her further at ease. Serena whines that she still can't stand up.

Standing up himself, Ash offers Serena his hand and tells her, "Don't give up until it's over!"

---

Remembering those words, Serena begins to feel tears, welling up, in her eyes.

---

He takes her hand and pulls her to her feet, congratulating her on standing. Still holding her hand, he takes her back to the campsite, while Serena looks at him in awe and wonder.

---

Serena falls to her knees and cries uncontrollably. She's crying because the boy of her dreams, Ash, is now gone forever. Today is his funeral. While she's crying, Trevor catches up to her and tries to comfort her.

He said, "Serena, I know how hard it is to lose a loved one. My father died when I was only 3. Ash was also one of my best friends."

Trevor's voice starts to crack, as he puts his hand on Serena's shoulder while trying to comfort her.

"Serena, you're going through a difficult time in your life right now, but know that your friends will help you get through this."

Serena, while still crying, suddenly grabs Trevor and hugs him tightly, seeking comfort. Trevor pats her softly on the back, to comfort her over Ash's death.

"It's going to be alright, Serena. It's going to be alright." were the only words Trevor could say to Serena right now, as they've both lost a good friend today.

My dream was to become the very best like no one ever was. What a beautiful lie.