chapter 1: Who's There?

Post-publication edit:

Hello there lovely reader, I just wanted to say I kind of loath the beginning of this story. I wrote it a while back and my writing has improved a lot since then. So just stick with this story and soon it will get better. When the story is completed I will try to go back and change things to make it better, buy I'm not really going to be able to edit it that much. So yeah... enjoy.

-Chello

Chapter 1

Panting, sirens, cries for help. That was all Zayn Malik could hear, as he ran down the lonely, graffiti littered alleys, of Bradford, England. Cold cement, aching muscles, trickling blood. That was all Zayn Malik could feel as he ducked into an old building, searching for a place of shelter. Trying to catch his breath, he slid down the grimy wall of the unknown abandoned building, the bumps pulling at his filthy, slightly ripped t-shirt. He reached out for his duffel bag, laying beside him, pulling out an almost empty bottle of water and bringing it to his lips. The last of the cool liquid trickled down onto his tongue and down the back of his throat.

There was a low rustling, coming from the other side of the building. Zayn's head snapped up at the sound. He heard it again, only this time louder and closer.

"hello? who's there?" Zayn whispered, not really wanting to know what it was, just wishing for it to go away. He stood up slowly, pulling the duffel back around his shoulder, carefully making his way toward the sound.

"Who's there?" he called out again, slightly louder and more stern this time. He ran his hand along the disgusting wall he was leaning against before, as he ever so slowly shuffled over to the sound. He finally made it to the location of the rustling and stuck his head around the corner to see what was causing the noise- he didn't see anything.

Zayn looked around once more, just to be safe. The rustling had stopped. He shook his head and walked back to his aforementioned sitting position. Just then, he felt a sharp pain at the back of his head. His vision became blurred, his legs weak, suddenly everything was black.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"Harry, Harry. Harry wake up!" Harry Styles, was awakened by his sister quietly whispering in his ear, and gently nudging his body. He rubbed his eyes, and sat up slowly, looking around the small apartment.

The apartment consisted of a small living room, located right next to the kitchen and a single bedroom with an attached bathroom. However there was no furniture- other than the small couch in the living room- as Harry and his sister, Gemma could not afford it. Harry's eyes finally landed back on Gemma, and he smiled weakly at her.

"Morning, Gem." Gemma returned her brother's smile, with one of sympathy. Harry always hated that she would put him before herself, he didn't think it was fair that she had to work extra hours, then come home and look after him.

"There's no breakfast today." Gemma informed him. Harry nodded sleepily, this wasn't out of the ordinary they hardly ever had food for breakfast. "go get ready for school, Haz." He just nodded again. Harry hated school, the other kids would always pick on him for not having any parents, or because he never came to school with lunch or money for the canteen, or because of his old worn out clothes. But he would never complain to Gemma, she tried so hard to make him happy. So instead he went and got changed.

When he came back out, Gemma was already dressed and ready for work, meaning Harry had to walk to school again today. Gemma picked up on the look of disappointment on Harry's face, so she shot him an apologetic smile and said,

"I'm sorry Haz, you know I have to work. I'll see you this afternoon, have a good day at school. Love you." she kissed Harry's forehead and locked the door behind them both.