Chapter 4

Monday, April 11 - Before School

Cherry: Whether you like it or not, you're coming over today, Belle.

Belle: And why is that?

Tabitha: Because we aren't going to put up any longer with how little we see you anymore.

Cherry: Exactly. And since we don't have anything going and we know there aren't any church things for you to get yourself wrapped up in, today's as good as any.

Penelope: Yep. I'm sure God could give you a few hours to spare for your best friends.

Me: *glaring at her*

Penelope: Don't give me that shit Belle. I'm not take a shot at God or anything like that. I'm dead serious. I'm sure I could probably make some biblical argument for it if I ever decided to pick a Bible up and read it.

Tabitha: She's right. I'm sure there something about not forsaking your friends. I don't know exactly where it would say that, but I know God well enough to know that.

Me: I'm not forsaking you. I just have some less time because I can't place you over God.

Cherry: You know darn well we'd never ask you to do that. You'd have to spend 3 or 4 whole days with us to come near the time that you spend with God. And we aren't coming close to asking for that much from you. We just want a few hours of your time after school.

Me: Fine, but can we please stop talking about how I spend my time.

Tabitha: That's fine with me. As long as you're going to be at Cherry's house later today.

Me: I will. I promise. Now let's just drop this. I have to get to class anyways.

I tried to ignore the grumbling as I walked away. But, it was really hard. I knew my friends were disappointed or whatever, but still. I hated to hear them made at me. I did want things to be back as they were, like they seemed to want. I just hated that they seemed to be attacking me and my time spent with God in the process. I didn't feel it was that excessive as they seemed to think. I didn't want to be prideful and think that I was so much better than them because I spent a lot more time with God and was much more committed, but it seemed they weren't too concerned about it and that seemed wrong to me. They seemed more concerned about what I was doing and spending time with each other than they did with God. And I could help but feel that was wrong.

Monday, April 11 - After School, Cherry's House

Cherry: So, you notice any boys at school today, Belle?

Me: What is it with all of you and being so interested in boys? Especially trying to get one involved with me or whatever it is exactly you're trying to do.

Penelope: Damn, Belle, you really need to chill out. For goodness sakes, you're 18 years old. It's a little strange that you haven't even considered dating. That's all we're saying. We don't really care that much whether you do or not.

Cherry: You really didn't have to snap at me. I was just making a point.

Tabitha: Let's just stop this before it gets into a fight. We're just surprised you haven't found anyone or anything. I'm not saying you should have been looking, but you'd have thought some boy would have asked you out by now. Are you actually not being asked, or are you just turning boys away without telling us about it.

Cherry & Penelope: *laughing along with Tabitha at her job*

Me: Maybe this is why I don't always hang out with you. I don't like being made fun of like this. Have any of you ever thought of that?

Tabitha: I wasn't making fun of you. I was just trying to lighten the mood a little bit. I'm really sorry if it offended you or something.

Me: *sighing* Look, I'm sorry. I'm just not really in the best mood. I understand you aren't trying to be rude to me or whatever, but I still feel like I'm being attacked by all of you. And it's quite frustrating.

Tabitha: We'll work on it *staring Cherry and Penelope down making sure they understand*

Me: Thanks.

Cherry: I'm sorry bringing up boys rubbed you that way. But that's usually what we talk about. Even before you got distant, we talked about them quite a bit. You even joined in.

Me: Oh. I guess I don't really remember that.

Penelope: You shouldn't expect any less than me. You know how I've gone through boys. But seriously, Belle, we miss it when you were more fun and would talk about all of this. And that's not a shot at you trying to be close to God or whatever. It's been a long time coming that you've been distant. Hell, it seems like it's been at least a year. Because even when you were with us, you weren't fully there.

Cherry: She's right. It's been quite a while since we've had a conversation, besides that past few days, though those were mostly arguments, that you've really been involved in.

Tabitha: So, what is it you want to talk about, Belle? We can talk about anything you want. Or do anything you want to do.

Me: Okay. *being filled with some excitement of getting back on track with friends* What was the last thing we did that you remember me really being present for.

Cherry, Tabitha, & Penelope: *looking at each other and smirking slightly* Truth or dare.

Me: But I hate that game.

Tabitha: We won't make you do anything that you wouldn't be willing to do, Belle. But it was the last thing that you were involved in. And you were actually having a good time. Then for whatever reason the next day or so you were gone.

Me: Okay. As long as Penelope doesn't give me the truth or dares. We all know she has no filter.

Penelope: Hey! *smiling at me* I take offense to how true that statement is.

Cherry, Tabitha, & I: *laughing at Penelope's attempt to be offended when we all know she loves her lack of a filter*

Cherry: Okay, truth or dare, Belle? I'll do the asking since you know I'll be the nicest to you.

Me: Truth.

Cherry: Which one of us has pissed you off the most recently.

Me: *sighing* You

Cherry: What?! *staring at me shocked beyond belief*

Me: I don't mean any offense. I'm sure it's mostly been my own fault letting myself get mad at you. But some days it seems like everything you do frustrates me. Plus, we used to be so close, but now it seems like you're closer to them and that's hard on me.

Tabitha: Okay, Cherry, truth or dare? Let's not beat this to death right now. You two can settle the score later. Let's just have fun now.

Cherry: Okay. Dare

Tabitha: I dare you to get Penelope down to the ground from her being in a standing position.

Cherry: What?

Tabitha, Penelope, and I: *laughing our hearts out*

It's hilarious watching little Cherry trying to get the big, but not really overweight Penelope down onto the ground. We give her a few minutes before she continually fails and gives up. The game continues to go on and I wonder why I've neglected them. I've never had so much fun before in my life. It's great reconnecting with them. I can't help but wonder how I survived without it. Because despite time with God being amazing, when time with friends, really human contact, is missing, things aren't great. And as I talk to Cherry afterwards, I feel better than I have in a while. I agree to start spending more time with her. She even agreed to do some Bible study with me so that I didn't feel like I was leaving God behind. But, as they clearly pointed out to me today, my neglecting them truly was hurting me and in a sense failing God. So even if I was spending a little less time with him, I wasn't neglecting him. I was just using something that he definitely approved of, good Christian (or even good non-Christians like Penelope) friends.