Chapter 7

Friday, April 29 - After Youth Group

Rascal: Hey, what happened to all of your friends?

Me: We're spending the night at our other friend from school, Penelope's, house, so they had to go get their stuff since they didn't think through enough to pack it up before they came. So, they're coming back to pick me up.

Rascal: That's cool, but I have to say I'm disappointed.

Me: Why's that?

Rascal: Well, I was hoping that I might be able to convince you to let me give you a ride and maybe even convince you to come to a party with me.

Me: Are you serious?

Rascal: What?

Me: You come to youth group and then afterwards, think it's alright to just go to a party?

Rascal: Geez, I didn't realize it was that big of a deal.

Me: Are you joking? This is all about learning about God and how dumb all of that stuff that goes on at parties is when you truly get to know Him.

Rascal: Well I'm not necessarily like that, Belle. Besides, I've only been coming here for three weeks. I'm not sure that I deserve this shit.

Me: *glaring at him*

Rascal: Are you fucking serious? God, I don't know why I ever thought that you were a cool girl. This is the second time that you've treated me like shit. But at least the first time you had a right. This time, I didn't do a damn thing to bring this upon myself. I know I'm not perfect and I have my flaws. You don't need to point them out every damn time. I'm not sure how your friends put up with you when you do that. It's damn annoying.

Me: I'm sorry, but you could have a little more respect for who I am.

Rascal: Then when the hell are you going to get some respect for who I am?

Me: *opening my mouth to respond, but nothing comes out*

Rascal: That's what I thought. Well I hope you enjoy your night. I was going to offer to wait with you, but now I see how you really feel. *getting up to leave*

Me: Rascal, wait. I'm sorry. I'll try to do better. But I really don't respond well when people start cussing like that. I'm sorry I got on you for the single word the first time, but to me it's seriously disrespectful how you cussed me out like that.

Rascal: *sitting back down, joining me on the curb* I guess we both have things to work on. So, what is it that got you into all of this church stuff in the first place?

Me: I was born and raised that way.

Rascal: Have you ever considered what life might be like if you didn't spend all of your time doing this church stuff?

Me: No, there's no reason to do that.

Rascal: So you just believe because you always have and your parents do.

Me: Don't take words out of my mouth.

Rascal: Then give me a real reason why you believe in God and commit your life to church so much that you're so different from every other normal teenager.

Me: It's who I am. It's a part of me. And whether not I have always believed and my parents do as well, I still believe. I can't change that. I know God exists and I have no doubt about Jesus and what he came to do. So, I'm not going to stop.

Rascal: But why all of that religious garbage? All of those damn rules that you have to follow?

Me: It's part of who God is. He calls us to be holy as He is holy. So, I follow what He says in the Bible so that I can become more holy like He is. It's not so much about rules as it is creating a lifestyle that reflects who God is. That's what I'm trying to do.