Part 40

Harry’s POV

“This is the last straw! You can’t keep skipping work! This is inappropriate might I add!” Steve yelled.

“Can you please lower your voice?” I demanded more than asked.

“You don’t realise what you’re throwing away, just for some random girl,” he threw his arms in the air and paced back and forth at the end of Katherine’s bed. I stood up and pushed him against the wall.

“She’s not just some random girl! And I can go where ever I want,” I felt my jaw tense.

Steve looked at me shocked, “You haven’t been to work in over a month! The boys can’t get anything done without you!” he stormed towards the exist, “Your selfish acts effect all of us. Are you just going to stay here until her heart stops beating?”

“It won’t,” I shot him a death stare as he left. I looked over to Katherine as my heart rate slowed down, back to normal pace. How dare Steve barge in here and yell at me for missing work. I hated how management thought they ruled my life. I huffed as I took a seat next to Katherine. We hadn’t disturbed her deep slumber with our loud actions. I took her hand in mine and intertwined her unresponsive fingers with mine. I pressed my lips against the back of her hand.

“Beauty queen of only eighteen

She had some trouble with herself

He was always there to help her

She always belonged to someone else

I drove for miles and miles and wound up at your door

I've had you so many times but somehow I want more

I don't mind spending every day

Out on your corner in the pouring rain

Look for the girl with the broken smile

Ask her if she wants to stay awhile

And she will be loved

And she will be loved,” I sang softly.

Katherine’s POV

“Tap on my window, knock on my door

I want to make you feel beautiful

I know I tend to get so insecure

It doesn't matter anymore

It's not always rainbows and butterflies

It's compromise that moves us along, yeah

My heart is full and my door's always open

You come anytime you want, yeah,” I heard Harry’s raspy voice sing. I tried to open my eyes and see him, but I couldn’t. I tried smiling, raising my cheek, anything, but nothing happened. I had no control over anything. Was this a dream, or is this how heaven is? Or maybe this is something in between heaven and hell. People always said if you commit suicide you’re going straight to hell. I was never afraid of that. My only fear was staying here.

  I felt Harry’s hand brush up against my cheek, my heart fluttered. It didn’t work, I’m still here. I felt liquid form in the corners of my eyes.

“Katherine,” Harry stopped singing and squeezed my hand, “You can hear me!” I could hear him start to hypervenalate as well. Even though I couldn’t see him, I knew his dimples were on display. I felt my heart quicken, then slowly dropped the pace. A loud beeping sound filled my ears.

“Ka-Katherine,” Harry choked as I heard multiple people rush in to the room. My ears started to hum, making everything sound like mumbles before I went totally deaf.

Harry’s POV

“What’s going on?” I yelled over the hovering nurses that ran in to the room.

 “Her heart level drooped,” the nurse continued to explain as others worked on Katherine but I couldn’t hear what she was saying. The only thing I feared has come true, her heart stopped beating.

“But she heard me?” I said confused.

“Sometimes that happens.” I threw my head back trying to prevent the tears from flowing.

“Sometimes what happenes?” I asked franticly.

“We need to get her upstairs,” a nurse said aloud. And on command the nurses lifted Katherine on to a gurney and pushed her out of my sight.

“Where is she?” I asked franticly as I got off the elevator on the floor above where I previously was. 

“Sir you’re scaring the people in the waiting room, could you please calm down?” a nurse asked kindly.

“Tell me where she is,” I said sternly.

“I don’t know who you’re talking about?” the nurse looked up at me confused.

“Katherine…. Katherine Ownes,” I stumbled as I followed her to her desk.

     The nurse typed her name in to the computer and scrolled up and down.

“You can’t see her,” I rolled my eyes unhappy with her answer.

“When will I be able to see her?” I asked forcing a smile.

“I actually need to call her father.”

“What, why?”

“We’re supposed to if we think the patient won’t,” the nurse trailed off seeing my cheeks drown in the salty river’s flowing from my eyes.  The nurse moved forward to comfort me, but I took a step away from her small frame.

“Just call him,” I cleared my throat feeling everyone’s eyes on me. The nurse nodded and picked up the phone. I walked down the hallway, looking through every small glass window. When I caught a glimpse of the familiar girl lying there motionless, I let my back slam against the wall. The brick let the material of my plaid shirt just slip down until I reached the floor. I curled my legs up in to my chest, wrapping my arms around them.

    My shirt soaked up most of my tears, the occasional one slipping past and seeping on to my knee that was exposed from the large holes in my jeans. It was getting harder to breath. I sniffled as I dragged my hands down my face. She can’t leave, not like this, not now, I kept repeating in my head. My head rested on my knees, shielding it from the passing doctor’s and nurse’s.

“Harry,” my eye lids slowly lifted and it was pitch black. I felt a knot in the back of my neck as I raised my head off of my knees.

“What time is it?” I asked Clive and rubbed my eyes.

“Almost six,” he replied looking back from his watch. His eyes were blood shot. I took a deep breath and reminded myself what was going on.

“Wh-where is she?” I asked scrambling to my feet.

 “You should come with me,” my lips parted, I knew I couldn’t possibly prepare myself for the worst.