Part 68

Harry’s POV

     A loud ring awoke me. It took me a moment to actually open my eyes and realized I was alone. Knocking came from the front door. I got up and dragged my feet as I walked out of her bedroom.

“Katherine?” my voice echoed through the empty halls.

 I stopped. Even with someone outside the door, I had felt so abandoned. This house was way too big, and to be alone only reminds you of how secluded you were.

  The doorbell rang once more. I huffed and opened the door.

“Uhhh hi, is Katherine here?”

 My scowl disappeared when his muscles were twice the size of my arms.

“No,” I cleared my throat, “Who are you?”

“Sorry. I’m Tate,” he stuck out his hand.

“Alright,” I said slowly accepting his formal gesture.

“Do you know when she’ll be home?”

   Something about him rubbed me the wrong way. I had never met him, Katherine had never brought Tate up. The last thing she needed was another ‘friend’ to drag her in to the darkness.

“No,” I quickly replied.

“Oh,” I looked down at the ground, “Well can you tell her I stopped by? It’s urgent.”

“Sure thing,” I faked a smile and slammed the door in his face.

Katherine’s POV

 “You don’t think you’re worth him disserting his career. You say you’re afraid of him losing the one things he’s been working towards, and he might. But what’s really the problem?”   Dr. Calloway had me speechless. I sat across from her, staring at the ground.

I shrugged my shoulder, “I’m not sure.”

Dr. C sighed and slumped her shoulders, “Yes you do. We won’t make any progression if you lie to me.”

“Fine,” I said frustrated, “You know what I’m afraid of? Disappointing him! Majority of our ‘relationship’ I was in a coma. He doesn’t even know me!” I couldn’t stop the tears.

Dr. Calloway opened her mouth, but I wasn’t finished, “I don’t know how I will be if things don’t work out. Nothing works out for me. I’m like a bad luck charm and I don’t want that to rub off on him. Everyone I’ve loved in the past have been torn from my life, I don’t think I’d be able to handle that again.”

  My head rested between my arms, warm tears soaked my sweater.

Dr. Calloway gave me time to calm down.

“Katherine, you won’t disappoint him,” she reassured me.

I looked up from my lap in disbelief, “How can you be so sure?”

She opened her mouth, but paused, “From what I’ve observed from him, I think he might be guilty of something.”

I was wandering in her words, lost.

“He told me what he did to Alicia,” everything in her office was still.

“What does Alicia have to do with any of this?” I questioned her wide spread web.

“He feels guilty about how her life changed after that. He will always have that guilt until he truly feels he has helped in some way,” I was already a few steps ahead of her conclusion.

I shook my head, “No.”

“It’s just my observation,” Dr. C reminded me.

“He’s not with me because he feels bad about Alicia,” a knock on the door interrupted our heated discussion.

Without looking to see who was at the door, or listen to what they had to say, I grabbed my bag and left. No one called after me or demanded I returned.

I got in to my car and drove. I had no set destination, in mind.