Part 60

Katherine’s POV

I let out an unsteady breath as Tate started the car.

“I don’t want this to sound creepy,” Tate glided his palm over the steering wheel.

 He had my full attention, “I couldn’t wait to meet you.”

I scoffed, “Why did you want to meet me?”

“Andrew always talked about you,” hearing his name struck my heart. Even though it had been mentioned many times since he had left, it seemed to sting a bit more.

“He always told us how strong and independent you are,” Tate finally cracked a smile. He was probably remembering laughs he shared with my brother.

His smile faded and he turned to me, “I am really sorry,” his chin curled upwards.

  He reeked with guilt, but I knew this wasn’t his fault. It was mine. I made an attempt to comfort him by placing my hand over his. He sniffled as he pulled in to my packed lane way and parked the car. Silence filled the tight space. I felt the need to say something.

“This isn’t your fault. You couldn’t have done anything to prevent this,” I felt tears hit my cheeks.

    I watched Tate’s chin drop and his tears soaked his shirt. It wasn’t until that moment I realized my hand was still on Tate’s. I was surprised with myself with how comfortable I was around him, considering we had just met. I waited for Tate to calm down before I spoke.

“Do you want to come in?” I asked quietly.

Tate immediately shook his head, “I can’t.”

“Oh,” I looked down at my hands, a bit disappointed.

“I’m sorry. You’re brother and I were really close and, I’m just having a hard time,” Tate took an unsteady breath.

I nodded, understanding his reasoning. I reached for the door handle and got out of the car.

I leaned on the open window, “It was nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you too,” Tate tried his best to smile. I couldn’t take the sadness on his face. If I stayed for one more minute I would’ve started crying as well.

Small talk was made by everyone in the house. I entered undetected. I crept up to my room, not wanting to hear another, “I’m sorry for your loss.”

Thankfully most of the noise was cancelled out when I closed my door. A knock quickly came after I took my shoes off. I walked over to answer it, hoping it wasn’t a stranger.

“Kyle,” my voice was quiet and surprised.

Dimples carved on his cheeks showed, “Can I come in?”

 I pushed the door further, allowing him to come in to my room.  When I turned to greet my guest he was already looking at me.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, standing still.

“I was at the funeral,” Kyle trailed off, “I also wanted to talk to you.”

“What about,” I tried to match his face. He seemed serious and ashamed.

“I felt bad with the way I left things last time,” he looked down at the floor and took a few steps towards me.

“Don’t be,” I shrugged it off.

“No. I am. I want you to get better and to be happy. Even if I don’t think Harry is the best, he makes you happy and that’s all that matters,” Kyle tried his best to smile.

I appreciated his support, even if Harry wasn’t really in my life anymore.

“Thank you,” I wrapped my arms around Kyle and rest my head against his chest. 

(Channing Tatum is Tate :)