Chapter 10 Secret's Out

I felt better assuring myself that Dinah was a jerk, so I didn't bawl my eyes out when I went on Instagram that night and saw Dinah's account with a post of a sketched picture of me with a Barbie doll.  It said, "Megan's lesbian.  I wonder if she fell in love with her Barbie dolls..."  I was upset, but I didn't bawl my eyes out.  Suddenly, I heard the doorbell ring, but before I could open it, Dylan did.  "Megan!  It's Mari- something or other!  She wants you to come down!" Dylan hollered.

"It's Marionette!" I gasped and felt nervous.  Oh no, I mean, oh yes, my crush was here.  I slowly made my way downstairs and waved at Marionette.  "Hey, Megan!" she cried, "You want to go to the park?"

"Y-yeah, sure!" I stammered awkwardly.  With that, I threw on my hoodie and Marionette and I set off towards the park.  

Together, we sat on the swings, in the same place where I told Ember who my crush was.  We sat silently for a minute, until Marionette said glumly, "I guess you saw Dinah's Instagram."

"Yeah." I replied, a bit down by the mood she was in.  I hope I don't cry in front of her, I thought as a small lump built in my throat.  I would never live it down.  "Yeah." I repeated, like an idiot.

"Oh, Megan!  I'm so sorry!  I probably shouldn't have come for you!" Marionette cried, slouching down, black hair drooping over her perfect face, "I'm probably upsetting you more than ever!  I just wanted to see if you were okay."

"Oh, Marionette, I'm fine." I said, "I kinda know this is going to continue for the foreseeable future."

"I wish it didn't have to." Marionette sighed.

"Marionette?" I asked.

"Yes?"

"Who do you like?  Are you lesbian?" I bit my lip and expected the worst, but I felt like I needed to know at the time.  Maybe the anger and frustration at Dinah Colby gave me adrenaline, I don't know.  Anyway, Marionette began slowly, she wasn't calm and assured like I normally saw her.  "Yes, I'm a lesbian.  I have a crush on a girl.  I started realizing it on the last day of Labour Day, when I sat with her at the cupcake place.  She's a great artist and moved across the states to come here to California.  She has the greatest smile, and her name is- well, her name is Megan Maxwell."

I turned and stared, as if my dreams all became true.

"So, who do you like?" Marionette asked me, giving me a let's-pretend-this-never-happened look.  I stared down at my sneakers, nervousness taking over me.  Go, you moron!  A voice shouted at me inside my head, you have nothing to lose!  "Marionette," I began, "I like you.  I like you and your black hair, I like you and your great sense of style, I like you and your personality.  Marionette, I like you."

"Then, so be it.  We are lesbian." Marionette said, holding my hand.  I felt as if I were melting and I closed my eyes as a tear slid down my face and across my nose.  "Are you going to be okay, Megan?" Marionette asked me, "Are you okay?"

"Sure," I sniffed, "I'll be just fine."

A week later a red car pulls up on my driveway.  Marionette steps out in a stunning hot pink dress that had a tight fitting and tight sleeves around the shoulders.  She wore gold heels with hot pink criss cross straps and gold, dangling earrings.  Her black hair was curled and in a high ponytail with a piece of hair wrapped around where the elastic should be.  I wore a pale blue dress with a high-low skirt and spaghetti strap sleeves.  I also wore my Aqua-marine necklace that I got when I turned ten from my Aunt Laura and Uncle Bryan.  Also, I wore beige wedge heels with chocolate brown straps.  My hair was slightly waved and let down loose.  Anyway, I should probably say why we are so dressed up.  Well, it's our first date!  We were going out to eat and then we were going to watch a movie.  But, I foresaw one problem:  Mom doesn't like lesbians.  That's why I told Mom we were going to meet some friends and go out to eat together and a movie, it was the first time I lied to her like that and I felt a bit guilty, but not too much.  Luckily, Mom was out at a business meeting and Kaelyn was shopping, so it was just me and Dylan, and Dylan doesn't ask questions about my life that much.  Anyway, back to the story.

Ding, dong!

"Coming!" I hurried downstairs and opened the door to see Marionette in her gorgeous attire.

"My gosh, Megan!  You look so nice!" Marionette gasped at my outfit, even though I thought she looked nicer.  I curtsied shyly and replied, "Thanks."

"Okay, we're going to that resturaunt in town called Stone Hot Grill and then we're going to see that new action movie, right?" Marionette asked me, as she laid out our plan, "That seems simple."

"Uh, huh." I said stupidly, because I was just so excited!

"Alright, let's go."

"Bye Dylan!" I shouted, remembering my sister was upstairs, "Don't open the door to strangers, answer the phone unless you don't know who it is!"

"I know the drill!" Dylan snapped bitterly, "Bye, bye!"

I shut the door and locked it and followed Marionette inside the red car.

"So, people, what are you going to be doing on your da-ate!" Jonas, Marionette's older brother, asked.

"You told him about our date?" I hissed nervously.  What if the secret spills?  What if Marionette's family doesn't like lesbians?  Oh, shoot, shoot, shoot!  "Marionette!" I cried.

"Don't worry," Marionette assured nonchalantly, "My family doesn't care if I'm lesbian or not, transgender or not- they just want to see me happy."  Then, she but her lip for a second and changed her response, "Well, except for Jonas here, who still teases me like a five year old!"

"Shut up!" Jonas said, jokingly.  

Finally, we arrived at Stone Hot Grill and entered the building.  Jonas sped off in his car, telling us he'd be back in an hour to pick us up.  We entered and ordered a table for two.  Not three, not four, two.  For the romantic feel.  I asked our waiter for some water to drink, Marionette asked for some ginger ale.  I asked our waiter for the Kentucky fried chicken and plum sauce with cornbread and steamed vegetables, Marionette asked for spicy chicken wings and ribs in a combo with cornbread and a Caesar salad.  It was awkward at first, neither of us said much.  I mean, we were friends, now we were girlfriends!  A whole new level!

Finally, Marionette started breathing heavily and sipped her ginger ale rapidly.  "Man," she panted, "those wings are spicy!"

"I've never been able to handle spicy." I said, staring down at her wings.

"Not curry?" Marionette asked, "Not even Tabasco sauce?"

"No.  Burns my mouth too much.  I don't understand how people do it."

"Well, if you can't handle spicy food, can you handle spicy love?" Marionette asked, raising an eyebrow.  I stared into her chocolate coloured eyes as she grinned impishly back.  "Marionette, what do you mean 'spicy love'-"

Marionette leaned across the table and kissed me on the cheek.  My eyes almost popped for a second because I was startled at her bold move.  But, then, I settled down as her soft lips pressed against my face and I shook with comfort, feeling safe in her presence.  When she was done, I reluctantly, kissed her too.  After that, Marionette said, "There.  That's what I mean by spicy love."

"I like it." I said, grinning.

"Good," my girlfriend replied, "c'ause there's more in store."