Epilogue (Christmas Edition)

"I don't know, this is pretty scary." I said to Ember.

"Oh, c'mon!  You guys have been going pretty steady for fourteen years!  I think this Christmas you can finally pluck up your courage!" Ember shoved me lightly towards Marionette's door.

"Oh, what if she doesn't want to do it?"

"She will."

"How can you be so sure?" 

"Because I know Marionette, Megan." Ember said defiantly.

"You're starting to sound like you're her girlfriend." I teased.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll go away now.  Go do it!" Ember rang the doorbell for me and hopped back into the car.

Marionette came out in an ugly Christmas sweater with jeggings.  "Hey, Megan," she said, kissing my cheek, "do you want some egg nog?"

"Sure, but first, I have a little something for you." I reached into my coat pocket and pulled out a small box.

Marionette eyed it and cried, "Oooh!  Is that my Christmas present?"

"Depends on how you take it." I said as I dropped to one knee.  I extended my hand with the box to her and opened it to reveal a diamond ring with sapphires on the sides.  "Marionette Talon," I said steadily, "you make me the happiest person around.  Will...will you marry me this Christmas?"

Marionette gasped and turned bright red.  "Yes, yes I will!" she shouted into the stars as a light, fluffy snow began to fall.  She kissed me right in the lips and Ember came bouncing out of the car, cheering.  After we were done kissing, Marionette and I embraced and I delicately slipped the ring on her finger.  "Now," Marionette said to Ember and I both, "how about some egg nog?"

So I sat, under the Christmas tree, sipping egg nog with my girlfriend.

I mean, wife.