Chapter 14 Dance Your Heart Out

"Why the heck did you run away, you fuzzbrain?" Kaelyn asked me as we entered the cafeteria.  Ember muttered something about being an only child, as she tagged along.  I rolled my eyes, pretending to sound annoyed.  "Why's it matter to you?"

"Dylan was worried about you."

"Why's it matter to you?"

"We almost called the police."

"Why's it matter to you?"

"I was worried about you." Kaelyn admitted.

"Good, now let's move on." Embed piped up.  And so we did.  It was awkward at first, Ember kept looking up and down, or at the group of basketball players to the left, pretending something interesting was going on elsewhere.  I kept fidgeting, adjusting the way I sat at the lunch table.  First I had my legs crossed, then I was folding my arms across my chest, and so on and so on.  Kaelyn kept playing with one of her blond curls.  "So," I said, "how much did you here when we talked to the vice principal, Kaelyn?"

"All of it, Megan." Kaelyn replied.

"Um, are you going to, like, try to stop us?" Ember asked my sister.

"As a matter of fact, no, Ember." Kaelyn said a bit bitterly because we thought she was a villain, "I am now on Team Gay Rights."

"There's actually no 'Team'...yet." Ember mumbled.

"Okay, whatever.  Look, guys, I'm your best bet." Kaelyn said, "I have lots of friends in Grade Eleven, so I can get the word out easily.  I might have thought the stuff you guys believe in was just down right weird, but, when Megan left, I took a different look on things.  I think all types of love are normal, so please, let me help!"

I looked at Ember and Ember looked at me.  "Sure," I said, "you can help."

Kaelyn's eyes sparkled joyously.

Over the weeks we had, lesbian awareness posters started appearing on the walls of Peternan High.  I stayed at Ember's house pretty much every night for two weeks, Mom knowing where I was as well as Dylan and Kaelyn.  But, slowly, I Mom did some reading on lesbians, and grew more and more acceptant of me, so I came home.

Finally, the night of the dance was here.  Kaelyn looked absolutely stunning in her silvery blue dress, with fake crystals sewed along her shoulders and tule flowing down from her waistline of black fabric.  Black trimming was twisted in a complicated French Twist in her blonde hair.  Her black heels, with silver straps  finished off the look.  Kaelyn is beautiful, I thought, inside and out.

The doorbell rang at our house, and there was Ember Wilson, in a bright red dress.  It fell to the floor and had a slit at her left leg.  Then, the satin fabric was pulled up to her left shoulder, revealing a lovely tulle rose with golden flakes in it.  Ember's freckles made her face so young that I didn't notice any zits.  Her hair was wrapped up in braids, along the back of her head, almost like Princess Leia's from Star Wars.  Her gold heels had red studs and she looked gorgeous.  She hugged me and asked, "Are you ready?"

I had worn a floral dress, to show off the rainbow theme for lesbians and gays, and also, it was darn beautiful.  It was a high-low sleeveless gown, with a cream base and fuschia and marigold coloured flowers with evergreen leaves on it.  The material was lacy on the outside, but comfortable on the inside.  Kaelyn had helped me brush my brown bangs to the side, and twist my hair up in complicated knots, like a movie star's.  My hair finally cooperated for once!  I wore tan heels, with pink straps, and little coral flowers around each toe.  I grabbed my best friend and my older sister's hands and replied to Ember as bravely as I could muster, "Yes, I am ready."