s e v e n

"Thanks, Chris."

Chris nodded at Dan as he hopped out the car, slinging his backpack over his shoulder.

"Be careful, alright?"

Dan exhaled, waving. "I'll be fine!" He called after his brother once he drove off. Dan turned and began walking up to the school building, eyes snapping pictures of the students headed the same direction. He noticed Jason with his typical group of friends, but Phil wasn't with them.

Dan picked up the pace, watching the bully in the corner of his eye, but it was too late. Jason looked up, made some snarky comment and pointed right at Daniel. Dan gulped, practically running away. He heard Jason yelling his name but he didn't dare to look, instead pushing his way through the doors and going straight to the bathroom.

He set his backpack down on the floor and washed his face, looking up in the mirror. He checked the time and saw how much time he had until class, deciding to pull out his journal to draw. However, before he could even get a utensil to use, the door shut behind him.

He froze.

"Running away, huh Danny? This isn't tag. Just because your real parents did, doesn't mean you get to."

His hands began to shake and he started to shove his journal back in when the other boy grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and dragged him back. Dan choked out as he was pulled up to his feet and forced to look into the eyes of his bully.

Jason flashed a smirk, his three other friends guarding the door and snickering.

"You know: that soup ruined my clothes. You don't even seem sorry about it, do you Howell?"

Dan stayed silent.

"Speechless again, huh, freak?" One of them growled behind Jason, and Dan tried to hide his journal behind his back, but Jace looked down and noticed it.

"One of you grab the little diary behind him," Jason commanded. A curly haired blonde sauntered over, snatching it from his hands after Jace shoved Dan back. Daniel fell to the floor, gazing up helplessly as they flipped through his doodles. Then they noticed the portrait of Phil Lester.

"Is that who I think it is?" One of them asked in amusement, stifling a laugh.

"Oh my god, he's totally gay for our friend."

Dan opened his mouth to snap at them when the minute bell rang.

"What a shame. See you after class then, Howell. And you can guarantee on Phil seeing this." Jason ripped out the drawing of Dan's muse, throwing his journal at the helpless boy then stomping away with his group. Dan's chest was heaving, his bottom sore from landing wrong.

He stayed in the bathroom on the floor, eyes watering as he considered just skipping this period so he could calm down. Dan stood up, gently picking up his journal before putting it into his backpack and leaving with it. He noticed the halls were empty and the late bell rang, but Dan didn't panic.

He didn't want to have to walk into the class and face Jason. He just wanted a break. He just wanted happiness. Dan leaned against his locker, tears beginning to fall while his forehead rest against the locker. He dropped his backpack carelessly and began to cry, turning and sliding his back down to hold his knees. His phone went off and he pulled it out, seeing it was a text from Phil.

poppingphills: hey, where are you? i could've sworn i saw you this morning.

Dan hesitated before typing a response.

danhoewell: i'm at my locker.

The reply was immediate.

poppingphills: why? what happened, are you okay?

Dan didn't say anything this time. He didn't want to lie to Phil, but he didn't want to tell the truth either. He heard a classroom door shut from down the hall but kept his head nudged, embarrassed of his tears.

"Dan?" Murmured Phil's voice, dripping concern and confusion. Dan hugged himself tighter, his heart beating faster when he felt Phil sit next to him. "It's him, isn't it? Jason and his friends? Did they hurt you? I swear to god, I'll kill them-"

Dan finally looked up at him, tears drying on his pouty, freckled cheeks. "They d-didn't hurt me. They were going t-to but the bell rang, they s-said they're g-gonna come back- Phil I don't want them to get me, I-I'm scared." He sniffled.

Phil's eyebrows furrowed in sympathy, and he leaned forward and pulled Dan into a hug. "I won't let them touch you, okay, Dan? I won't let anybody hurt you, I promise." Dan nodded against Phil's chest and they pulled away, only for Phil to do something that made Dan's heart soar.

He kissed his forehead. And it wasn't a simple peck, no. It was a long, comforting gesture, his lips pressed to his skin with his hands resting on Dan's shoulders.

Dan tensed, his cheeks instantly heating up and eyes widening. He felt Phil staring at him and squeezed his eyes shut, scared that if they locked eyes then he'd kiss him, and he couldn't kiss Phil- he couldn't fall for him again. He couldn't let him in again just for him to leave.

"Dan, open your eyes please," Phil whispered, one hand still on Dan's shoulder, but the other one now brushing against Dan's jawline. "Look at me."

Dan let his eyes flutter open and slowly ran them up Phil's figure until finally locking them onto Phil's blue ones. "A-Are you gonna kiss me?" Dan questioned, his heart pounding.

Phil hid a smile. "Are you gonna let me?" 

"That depends," Dan murmured, and Phil slowly moved forward. Dan parted his lips and felt Phil's hot breath washing over his mouth, his stomach filling with butterflies.

"Are you kidding me?" They jumped apart, and Dan saw Jason at the end of the hall, Dan's drawing of Phil in his hand. Jace glared, stomping over and throwing it at Phil after crumpling it. "You're a fag like him, aren't you Lester?"

"Everyone knows I'm bisexual." Phil warned, standing and clenching his fists. Dan rose cautiously, hiding behind Phil's back. His body was trembling in fear, his breathing picking up.

"I thought it was just a sex thing, didn't know you were actually into them. If I had known you enjoyed fucking them, I would've beaten your ass too." Jason snarled.

"Go back to class, Jace."

"Oh I will. Right after I kick Dan's little ass. I promised I would, I can't ditch on the poor guy, right?"

"You aren't gonna touch him. What you are gonna do is wipe that snarky smile off your face, get rid of your shitty attitude, and walk away."

"Mhmm, and who says so?"

Phil took a step forward, slightly taller than Jason. Dan noticed how tense Phil looked, but nothing came out of his lips to protest them of fighting. "I do."

"Look, Lester, I don't want a fight. I just want to chat with my buddy over there!" He gestured to Dan, a glint in his eyes. "So I suggest you move before I make you."

"P-please," Dan begged, backing up in fear.

"Try me," Phil hissed, and then Jason grabbed him by the collar and shoved him into Dan's locker. Dan yelped out but felt like he couldn't move, felt like a statue with his feet glued to the floor. He was struck with shock. Phil cried out but threw his fist, knocking Jace right in the jaw and jumping away from the lockers.

Jason glared and swung his fist, but Phil ducked and tripped Jace instead. Jace fell onto his back and panted out, "you always were annoying." Phil paused.

"Phil, don't-"

Phil ignored Dan's plea, going to jump on Jason but he was too quick, swinging his foot across the floor and knocking Phil off his feet. Phil stumbled back and tried to catch himself, but instead fell back onto the floor. Jason straddled him and they punched, and the two jumped up. Jace threw Phil against the wall, kneeing him in the stomach.

Dan hurried over and tugged at Jason's shirt, begging for them to stop. Jace simply shoved him off and Dan slipped, feeling his head hit something hard before hitting the ground.

"Dan!"

And then everything went black.