e i g h t

fanart by @runningoutoftime_

Phil woke up to a light tap on his shoulder, his eyes fluttering open to reveal a blonde-haired young adult. He furrowed his eyebrows.

Phil opened his mouth to question this guy's identity when the stranger spoke up. "Yep, you're definitely my brother's muse."

Phil blinked. "Huh? Who are you?"

"I'm Chris. Dan's stepbrother. You don't remember me?"

Phil hid a blush. "No, I'm sorry- it's just. . ."

"It's been awhile, I get it," Chris finished. "Dan's alive, by the way. You can go see him. And Phil," Chris eyed him as he stood up. "If you ever get my baby brother hurt again, you're gonna be the one in a hospital bed. Got it?"

Phil nodded furiously. "I promise I'll never let anybody hurt him again. I was only trying to protect him."

Chris stayed silent, sitting down in Phil's previous seat once Phil moved to peek through the door of the school's nurse room. Dan was half asleep, his eyes half lidded and white bandage wrapped around his fragile head. A tired smile found its way onto the brunette's lip when he noticed Phil.

"You know who I am, right?" Phil attempted to joke. Dan rolled his eyes.

"Unfortunately," he chuckled back, reaching out his arms and gesturing for a hug. Phil instantly came closer, hugging Dan carefully. "How a-are you feeling?"

"I'm alright, Dan, this isn't about me. You're the one with a severe head injury from falling into a drinking fountain. Jason tried to run but security caught everything. He's suspended for a few weeks now."

"Thank you," he breathed out, Phil pulling away to look down at the sleepy boy. "Thank you for standing up for m-me. Nobody's ever done that b-before." He squeezed Phil's hand. 

"Glad I made the record then," he flashed a lopsided grin, then used his free hand to grab a folded sheet of paper from his pocket and placed it in Dan's hand. "When did you draw that?"

Dan let go of Phil's hand to unfold the drawing, realizing it was the portrait of Phil and immediately blushing. "A f-few weeks ago."

"Is that the only drawing you have of me?" Phil questioned, a small smile on his pale face. Dan shook his head. "I'd like to see them some time then. You're a really good artist, Howell."

"You weren't meant to see any of them," Dan shied, giggling and hiding his face with his arm. "This is embarrassing."

"We can crumple this sheet together then."

Dan looked up at Phil. "Really?"

"Yeah. I know it calms you down and it's my priority to make you happy."

Dan smiled and they clasped hands, smushing the drawing and then squeezing their fingers. The sound of paper rustling filled the room, along with the boys' chuckles. Once it felt crumpled enough, Phil took it.

"Feel better now?"

Dan nodded. "I'm just sleepy now."

"Alright, I'll let you sleep."

Dan opened his mouth to say something then shut it, closing his eyes too. Phil didn't push for what he was going to say, instead leaning forward and kissing the top of his head. He then pulled away and ruffled his hair, turning and walking out. He gasped when he bumped into someone, looking up to see a very tall man.

"Phil Lester? I haven't seen you in years."

It was Mr. Howell. Phil gulped.

"Y-yeah, it's been awhile." What, now he has a stutter too? It's not like Dan's dad was rude to him, but it doesn't take a professor to get that Phil isn't the greatest person when his son's best friend stops talking to him and Dan barely comes out of his room afterward.

"I talked to the cops and they showed me the security footage and I'm thankful you tried to protect my boy. He already goes through so much, I just don't want to lose him like I almost did a few years ago, y'know?" Phil flinched at the memory Mr. Howell brought up.

"'Course sir. . . I'll protect him no matter what."

"So do you know what's been up with him lately, then? He's been acting. . . off, I guess is the right word. He's been ditching school, flunking quizzes and tests and going out more than usual. It doesn't have anything to do with that Jason guy, right?"

Phil furrowed his eyebrows. "No sir," he responded, forcing a smile. It's all me. "Anyways, my mother is probably waiting for me. . . tell Dan to text me when he wakes up?"

"Sure thing," Mr. Howell nodded, and Phil went to leave the room when Dan's father placed a hand on his shoulder. "He doesn't deserve what you've gotten him into."

Phil gulped, unable to reply, instead rushing out of the room and deciding he'd use the bathroom. Class was dismissed for Phil and who knows where Jason was, but at the moment Phil just needed to wash his face and calm down.

Phil turned a corner and bumped into someone, ready to apologize when he looked up to see Jason. Phil glared, Jace only smirking.

"Going somewhere?"

"To the freaking bathroom, if you don't mind. Unless you want me to piss on you, but I think you're already unhygienic enough with how full you are of bullshit," Phil snapped. Jason stepped back.

"Feisty. Is Prince Charming upset they couldn't protect their sweet little princess from the big bad dragon?" Jason forced a pout. Phil rolled his eyes.

"Aren't you suspended?"

"Yeah, just taking a little bathroom break before I go." Jason raised an eyebrow.

"Well it seemed to me like you were leaving, so get on with it. Your presence isn't wanted here."

Jace was turning to leave when Phil said that, and Jason spun back around, pushing him back. "My presence? If it weren't for me, you and the little freak wouldn't even be talking. He's a bet, a challenge, and I'll tell him what he really is to you if you get near him again."

Phil froze. "That's not all he is to me."

"And who do you think he's gonna believe, you- the one who lied to him in the first place, or the guy who knows Phil's crush the best?" Jace threatened, and Phil gulped.

"Please don't."

"I won't if you stop hanging out with him. You're better than he is, I don't wanna lose my favorite guy to some anxious fag. C'mon Phil, this is just a silly game. You weren't mean to fall for anyone, especially a guy. So what's your answer, leave him or watch him beat himself up- of course that's if I don't first."

Phil opened his mouth and answered, eyes squeezed shut and regret filling his heart as he spoke his reply.

"Leave him. I'll leave him."