Chapter 12

"I'm gonna kill him for even thinking he could be with you!" I scream. All the colour has drained from Octobers face and she now sits slumped forward in her chair, coffee staining her shirt, face cradled in her hands.

"God-freaking-damn, October! Why, why would you do such a thing! You knew his reputation! Even in high school! What? Did you think that he was gonna settle down with you? That's my job!" I fume, she looks up. No longer putting up her smoke screens, she's angry. It's hot and scary.

"If I remember correctly, Liam. You had a reputation before the start of year 7. You settled down with me. You kept your reputation for most of high school if I'm correct, too. God, calm the hell down. I have to change, I'll be right back." She says simply, her features twisted and beautiful eyes gleaming with hellfire. Damn, she's barely a head shorter than me and I'm terrified.

She walks upstairs without even a glance back but I can see her lips moving, probably bestowing thousands of curses on me. That sounds like something she'd do. I lean backward into my chair in the warm cafe as what I suppose is the lunch time rush comes barging in. Heaps of people queuing and taking seats around the cafe, ordering food, gossiping. Oblivious to the fact that my supposed best friend thought he could have my girlfriend. I didn't care if I married Catalina, I would always go back to October. I sound whipped and she doesn't want anything to do with me.

She comes back out of the hallway, her shirt changed from the coffee stained one to a nice deep green long sleeved t-shirt. Her hair is now out and falling in soft waves to her shoulders, she's magnificent. October takes a look at the cafe then, without meeting my eye, tromps over to me.

"Fire him. Fire him and I swear you'll get anything in return." She pleads, the anger gone and replaced with desperation. "Please?"

I could never say no to that face, never, because when she had to do it, it meant she wasn't happy. It hurt me to see her unhappy. It still does, a knife to the chest to see that someone, even me, has made this strong woman feel broken. She was always broken.

"Anything?" I ask, my mind has made up a devious plan. If she really means it, there is no backing out, and then I can wipe those tears off her face.

"Cross my heart and hope to die." She laughs, crossing her index finger over her chest in the ages old promise. Well, I wouldn't call it a promise but it was something hefty when I came to us.

"You sure?"

"If it means that Ryan Douchebag Carlisle isn't around either of us anymore and can't have any access to our-.....my son, I'll do anything." She said it and I'm gonna hold it against her. Wait...our son? Never mind.

"Shake on it before I tell you what the catch is." I stick out my hand, her small one gripping mine. Her palm is smooth and her fingers strong as we do a single shake, her hand slips from mine. Done.

"3 dates."

"What?"

"3 dates. No less but you can have more if you wish so."

"Should've asked the catch first. But if it's the price I pay. Deal. Anything never to see that ass in a courtroom ever again."

I let out a coughing laugh and fish my phone out of my jeans pocket.

"Excuse me for a minute, baby." I joke before moving out side the shop to call Ryan. I watch her clean up the spilt coffee and smashed cup from outside the window, smiling when she looks up to me, every so often. I dial Ryan's number, the dial tone playing.

"Carlisle, how can I help you?" A feminine voice asks.

"Hey, Olivia, can you please get Ryan on the phone? Now. And I don't care what he's doing, I want him on the phone." I bark. People walking past me in the street look at me strangely and continue their conversations, or speed up their pace.

I hear a wispy gasp from Olivia then weird noise like the phone was been dropped before absolute silence, save something far away in the background. Goddamn, I'm furious. The M.A.I.A.H or Maiah (My-yah) network can contact anyone anywhere and he always keeps his on. He can't escape me now.

"M.A.I.A.H." I call, the dog tag around my throat moves up the back of my neck and latches around my ears. The opaque screen sitting a couple centimetres from my eyes. "Carlisle, Ryan. Call."

The ear attachments buzz and a monotonous Siri like voice says 'calling, Carlisle, Ryan'. The M.A.I.A.H network symbol flashes on the screen as I run my hand through it. Ryan's face pops up in a matter of minutes, beaming and excited. He's just had another conquest.

"Liam, my man!" He says. The screen is moving, he waking around. Thank God, can't see below his neck.

"Ryan. You're fired." I say. Crossing my arms and looking through the screen to October, whose behind the counter in the cafe serving people. It's adorable.

"What! Why? What did I do? It wasn't me! I can fix it!" He pants.

"You laid a hand on October. You thought you had a chance with her. You cheated on her. She was, is and always will be mine."

"Dude, that was like 3 years ago, it's over now. No need to fire me, keep me on. I'm a good lawyer. Also, stop being so possessive, she won't like it. And it was you who left, she was free game."

October comes storming out of the shop. M.A.I.A.H earpieces sittingprominent in her ears. She's hearing this. I don't even get why anyone uses a phone any more, it's not like the iPhone 26 is any good.

"No, Ryan. I was never yours. No ones. I am my own person and Liam's possessiveness just means he give a crap about me. More than you ever did." Octobers voice rings true in my ears. Her screen is down so she can look at me, eye contact, an emotion hidden in there.

"Ryan. You're fired get over it." I state. Preparing the command to hang up this call.

"You bitch! This is your fault!" Ryan calls before October makes the command. Both of our Maiah devices move back down to our throats. I look her dead set in the eye.

Suddenly, her arms are thrown around me in a hug.

"Thank you."

--------------------
M.A.I.A.H: Miniature automated inept automatic hearing (device)
Basically holographic google glass.