Chapter Five

Chapter Five (Devin's POV)

There was something about Rick that I didn't know, and it ticked me off. He was so obviously hiding something and it was something that had to do with why he was a jerk. I wanted to know so badly and I hated myself for it. I mean, it was none of my business, right? After all, by the end of two weeks, we'll never see each other again.

It didn't matter how many times I tried to tell myself that because it wasn't helping. I still wanted to know, but trying to get Rick to be serious and talk about it was like trying to teach a dead hamster how to speak English. Virtually impossible. It irked me, but I didn't show him. Well, that I was irked about that. I did show him that I was pissed off whenever he tried to make an excuse to leave the guitar shop.

"Oh, quit acting like you're at the dentist's. Grow a pair and look for one that you like." I snapped, glaring at Rick scowled at a rack of ebony bass guitars. He stepped away, folding his arms over his chest and glancing at me in irritation.

"I told you, I don't want one." He grunted. I could practically see the word 'lying' written all over his face as he spoke, so I ignored him and brushed past to look at some of the beginner books. I heard him sigh, exasperated, before the sound of him shuffling around followed. I glanced out the corner of my eye as he walked down the aisle, ignoring most of the guitars. That's when I realized he was already staring at one at the end. I set the book down and walked over to stand beside him.

A sleek black and white electric guitar practically glowed under the fluorescent lights in a glass display case along with its shiny new amp. Glancing at the description it was a Les Paul 100 Ebony 6-String Electric Guitar. Without a doubt it was beautiful, but the price just seemed to dare me to pull out the cash that I had.

I may have told Rick a hundred, but there was actually a hundred sixty sitting in my pocket and waiting to be spent on my basketball uniform, but I just couldn't do it. Rick was staring at it like it was Jesus Christ fallen from Heaven and I saw that glint in his eye that he got when he played the guitar back at his place. It was real interest in something that benefited him, something he actually did want.

"You like it?" I asked the obvious. Rick didn't say anything for a bit, started to nod, then his eyes fell on the price and he shook his head. I rolled my eyes.

"Bullshit," I retorted, then glanced over at the clerk behind the counter, "Hey! Can we check this one out, please?" The clerk's face lit up and he rushed over. Rick glared at me, but I just smirked and stuck my tongue out as the clerk came over and unlocked the case.

"Excellent, excellent choice here, man. Les Paul classic, she is. Mahogany body with a maple top will give you the best classic solid heavy tone with a bolt-on mahogany neck and a rosewood fingerboard. There's two open-coil humbuckers and chrome hardware. Here, give her a try." He handed Rick the guitar and he took it gingerly before cradling it to himself, brushing his fingertips tentatively over the strings so they hummed gently.

He looked fascinated by the design and I swear, he looked like he was gonna dump me and go for the guitar. The clerk hooked her up to the amp and gave Rick his cue. Pausing first before he struck a few chords, Rick actually looked happy. I recognized another Nickelback song as he played before he settled his fingers on the strings to quiet them.

"I'll give you guys some time to decide, but honestly, I'd have her with me if I had the cash. She's a beauty and freaking amazing for serious musicians." The clerk explained before giving us a wink and walking back to the counter. Rick stared at the finish and the neck, sliding his fingers along the strings so they purred.

"So, what'd you think?" I asked. Rick blinked, glanced at me, then back at the guitar and I was irritated when I saw a frown etch into his face.

"I don't want it." He stated.