Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen (Devin's POV)

"I still think we have a chance of eloping." Rick said as he sat on the edge of the bed, jerking his boots on roughly, which meant he was ticked. Not enough to throw a fit, but enough so that I knew he really didn't want to go to this therapy session.

"Rick. I can't just leave. Come on, how bad can it be? It's just a little talking and looking at ink blots." I pointed out, sitting on the bed side him. He stopped and dropped his feet to the ground with loud clomps, glancing at me out the corner of his eye before grunting.

"You haven't met this woman before, Dev. She's like this really freaky mix of Medusa and Queen of the Damned. And maybe Roseanne." He added, rising to his feet. I liftd a brow at him, leaning back on my hands and smirking.

"Don't tell me you're scared of her." I said. Rick's expression twisted up and he scowled, snatching his leather jacket off the bed and slipping it on.

"Oh, please. I'm not the one who should be scared of her." He replied, giving me a wicked grin before he went for the door. I blinked and got up, quickly following behind him as we went out into the hallway.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I demanded suspiciously. I haven't heard much about this therapist, just that she was supposed to be amazing, and maybe just a little on the weird side. It was hard to judge Rick's judgement on this because it had to be exaggerated.

"You'll see." Rick replied, but he still had that cocky evil smirk on his face. What happened to the Rick that got all warm and cuddly? Jeez.

We headed downstairs and started to go to the kitchen, but we stopped just before the doorway to hear voices from the kitchen. I opened my mouth to snap at Rick for eavesdropping, but he easily swung me around and into his chest, his hand over my mouth as we listened.

"I told you, nothing's going to happen to your son, Mr. Carter. Rick's been going to his sessions and he's actually showing progress." Vic's voice was saying. I stiffened and managed to peer past the doorframe to see my dad standing in the kitchen on the other side of the island counter while Vic scrubbed at some dishes to set out for lunch. Rick's grip tightened on me and he jerked me back against him, pressing a finger to his lips. I glared at him, but said nothing else as the conversation in the kitchen continued.

"Vic, listen, I'm not trying to insult your parenting skills or anything, but Rick's a bad influence on Devin anyway. I thought I said I didn't want them near each other anymore." My dad's voice stated firmly. I could tell by his tone that he was getting pissed. This time when I peeked into the kitchen, Rick didn't stop me and in fact did the same thing.

Vic shut off the sink water and shook his hands, drying them off on his blue plaid shirt, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. He turned to face my dad, who didn't even bother to hide his glare. Even so, Vic just stared back at him.

"Is this about the whole males shouldn't like males thing that Cherri told me about?" He asked flatly. Wow, Vic. Nice way to be subtle about it. I was surprised to see my dad's face turn a little pink with embarrassment, but he didn't let up on his macho man authority.

"Vic, I'm not insulting you or your... uh, ideas, but I don't want Devin thinking-"

"Thinking what? That it's okay to date whomever you choose?"

"No, I mean-"

"Mr. Carter," Vic drawled, placing a hand on his hip in a rather girly manner while he leaned on a nearby counter, "You're starting to choke on your tongue. Why don't you just come right out and say what's on your mind? I may have different 'ideas', but by the end of the day, I'm still a man and I can handle anything you have to say to me." My dad stood there for a second, then scowled at last, folding his arms over his chest.