Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen (Rick's POV)

"Her house is huge." Devin managed, his blue eyes going wide as I pulled up into the driveway. Sure enough, it was the same as always. A tall old Victorian style house with purple shutters and a matching front door. Sitting in the front yard near the steps to the porch was her fat German Shepherd named Koby, his long tongue hanging out as he panted in the summer heat.

I parked the car and we got out, heading to the front door as Koby barked eagerly, his tail flipping back and forth. I let Devin get a few steps ahead of me as I reached out to pat Koby on the head, his ears flopping as he licked my wrist before I went ahead and knocked on the door.

"She's rich." Devin said at last.

"She's also a bitch." I answered, making Devin scowl at me before the door opened. The demon stood in the doorway, dressed in a red ruffled blouse to match her red peasant skirt that was layered down to her ankles, a pair of red buckled boots finishing off her attire.

"So, today's color is red?" I asked flatly. She always wore a completely different color every day, even some colors I would think some women would be caught dead in. Like the other day? She decided olive green was a nice touch. She looked like she was gonna go on a safari.

"Just like my soul." Dr. Romero responded with a polite smile.

"I thought your soul was black." I deadpanned.

"Rick!" Devin elbowed me in the arm. I shrugged nonchalantly and swept into the house past Dr. Romero, who had stepped aside to let us in. Her house always smelled like incense, a mixture of rosemary and cucumber. The wooden floors ran all the way to the tiled, marble kitchen and her carpeted living room, office, and foyer. A pair of stairs led straight up to a catwalk that split off into four other rooms and a bathroom.

Koby came bounding into the house behind Devin and I before his owner shut the door. He barked eagerly and raced into the living room before leaping onto the sofa, curling up and watching us with chocolate eyes and his ears perked up. Dr. Romero smirked, then inched her finger for us to follow her and we walked into the office room of the house.

The scent of incense was even heavier in there, clinging to the periwinkle painted walls and the blue and purple furniture. Her black computer sat atop a two shelf computer desk with a nice black leather chair, which she plopped into before gesturing for us to sit in the blue loveseat in front of her.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Devin. You seem to be very special to Rick." She greeted Devin, reaching out and taking his hand with a smile. I rolled my eyes and sat back on the sofa. She was pretending to be all sweet now. Wait until the actual therapy started.

"Uh, nice to meet you. Rick talks about you a lot." Devin answered. Dr. Romero's eyes flickered to me in obvious amusement before she looked back at Devin with a sweet smile, folding one leg over the other.

"Why don't you tell me a bit about yourself? Any plans for next year?" She asked. Devin glanced at me and I just shrugged before he looked back at Dr. Romero, shifting a little on the sofa.

"Uh, I was just thinking about joining basketball, maybe getting a job somewhere in town so I have enough money to get my own place... Nothing special."

"Well, that's nice. Were you thinking of living alone?" She asked. I looked at Devin this time and he blinked and shook his head.

"No."

"Who did you want to live with?" Dr. Romero asked. Devin turned red and looked at me for help. I smirked and looked at Dr. Romero, folding my hands behind my head casually.