Chapter 67

Almost Is Never Enough

Chapter 67

You walked up to Nathan, seeing him crying with his fists against the wall. "Nathan?" You asked hesitantly, but quietly.

He looked up at you, eyes red, face clearly displaying distress. "Oh my god Nathan..." You said, going up to him and making him sit down.

"Why are you here? Are you gonna blame me for everything again?" He said bitterly.

You pressed your lips together, feeling guilty. "I'm sorry..." You whispered.

"Whatever alright? Why don't you go over and make out with Jay? Better yet, just do it right in front of me! Not like it could hurt me any more!" Nathan said.

"Nathan..." You whispered, hurt by what he had said. You were doing you best to hold back your tears.

"Whatever. I'm sick of just getting hurt by you. Because it's not hurting me anymore. It's killing me. But I stay alive because I see you and it pretty much brings me back. Not like any of that matters to you," He said, starting to walk away.

You stood up and walked over to him. "Nathan, of course that matters to me! You're one of the most important people in my life and I don't want to hurt you. I hate seeing you like this and I couldn't live with myself knowing that I'm basically killing you," you said.

Nathan had his back turned to you, he was holding back tears that were threatening to escape his eyes. "You will never understand. You have two people loving you. I have none. I thought I had one, but I guess that wasn't real enough for her to keep me. So instead, she threw me away for the newest toy in her play box." Nathan said, mostly out of spite than out of truth.

"Let me make it easier on the both of you then...I'm leaving," you said, walking past him and into Jay's room.

"What?" Nathan asked, running over to you.

You were packing your things. "You heard me, I'm leaving for good," you said, taking your clothes out of the closet and putting them in a suitcase.

"What are you saying? Don't be stupid!" Nathan said.

"I'm done! I am so sick of hurting people when I'm trying to help as best as I can. I'm done and I'm leaving," you said.

"Please stop. I didn't mean it. If anything I should leave. You can't hurt Jay by leaving. You can't. I'll leave." Nathan said, tears threatening to overflow.

"No. This is your dream, Nathan. I'm not making you do that. Let me go, there's really nothing here for me anymore," you said, zipping up your bags.

"You can't leave!" Nathan begged.

"Watch me," you said, picking up your bags and walking downstairs.

"LOVE PLEASE!" Nathan said, fully crying.

"Leave me alone, Nathan," you said, making your way to the door. Jay was nowhere to be found as you ran to the car.

You dropped your bags in the trunk and hurried to the front seat. Nathan was running after you, desperate to make you stop, to keep you near him. He grabbed your arm in an attempt to stop you. "Nathan, let go of me!" You yelled.

"I WON'T." He yelled back.

You broke free of his grip and quickly opened the door to the car. You hopped in and started driving away, disregarding Nath's pleas to come back. You kept driving, not caring where you ended up as long as it was far away from there.

You pulled into a driveway, realizing you had driven to a friend's house. Your friend ran outside and hugged you. "Hey Annie," you said with a smile.