Chapter 7

The white werewolf lifted her head and smelled the air. She had caught the scent of her new mate entering the forest. She wanted to go to him, but there was an evil in the forest. Another human was here, one who meant her and her pack harm. So they left, walking away from the hunter and his companion who was so much like the wolves. The walked for most of the day, eventually finding a cave to sleep in. The younger ones were tired for so much walking and immediately flopped down, beginning to sleep. A few of the wolves who still felt strong enough went out to hunt for some food, leaving the others to rest. The white werewolf stayed awake most of the night, her ears pricked and her eyes scanning for any signs of danger.

The next morning the group started out again. The hunter was again on the move, and they were steadily heading away. The white werewolf sniffed the ground, trying to pick up her mate's scent, and was surprised to realise that he was heading in the same direction as them. The pull that they all felt seemed to be drawing him towards them. If they carried on at this rate, he would meet up with them soon. Renewed by this thought, she bounded forward. 'Where are you going?' asked her father. 'My mate is not far. I wish to go ahead and meet him halfway.' Her father considered, then nodded. 'If you feel the pull as we do, you will be able to find us. As soon as the two of you have met up, return to us.'

The white werewolf bounded off, excitement pounding through her. Then she paused. Was this joy because of their bond or her actual feelings? She continued to pad forward, thinking this over. Eventually she reached the point that she was sure her mate would head to and sat down, thinking. She kept a careful note on where the hunter was and where her mate was, knowing that she would step in and help if it seemed he was in trouble.