Chapter 9

They had been walking for over a week. Kyle knew this, yet for some reason he wasnt worried. He was happy to be away from the sound of his mother constantly scolding him, or the looks of pity she sent his way. He also enjoyed being with Lupa. He didnt know why he felt so attracted to her suddenly, but he wasnt bothered. If he liked her, he liked her.

Lupa suddenly stopped, and Kyle stopped beside her. "What's wrong?" he asked, looking around. Lupa was looking around, sniffing the air, then she growled. "What?" Kyle asked again, trying to understand what the matter was. Lupa suddenly leapt at him just as the dog, Bruno, landed on the spot she had been standing seconds ago. Bruno barked and now Kyle heard the man crashing through the undergrowth.

"Did you get her boy?" he called, reaching the area. He stopped and stared at Kyle. "What are you doing here?" he asked.

"I..er..." Kyle murmured, unsure how to answer. Bruno growled and Kyle glanced at him, noticing that he was beginning to advance on Lupa. "Oi, get away!" he cried, standing infront of her. The man looked at him in surprise.

"Boy, move. I've been hunting that wolf for days, and i dont want it to get away."

"I dont care. You're not hurting her."

"Her? It's female? Wait, how do you know?" asked the man, looking at him suspiciously. Kyle was desperately trying to think of a way to escape, but nothing was coming to mind. If we run now, they'll just follow us and there's no way we'd get away. But if we stay, he'll definately shoot Lupa and might force me to go home. What do we do?

I saw that the ones i was supposed to protect were in danger. I had to act quickly; the man with the gun would not hesitate to shoot the wolf and the boy could also be harmed. I saw only one way out of this; show myself to them, act as bait and diversion, and allow them to escape.

Lupa stood growling, baring her fangs. The man was trouble, she could smell it. Her mate was panicking, and she had to protect him. But how? Suddenly there was a snarl. A black wolf leapt infront of them, baring his teeth. He growled and nipped at the dog, causing it yelp, before running back into the undergrowth. The dog quickly followed and the man, his attention caught by another prize, began to follow. Lupa took the opportunity and began to run, her mate starting to run beside her. Over the course of the week he had grown fitter and kept up with her easily as they raced through the grass, somehow managing to move as silently as she did. She was impressed; she had never expected him to adapt so soon. Her mind raced to the black wolf. Who was he? Why did he protect them? She pushed those thoughts out of her mind and focused on getting herself and her mate to safety.