Chapter 10

They finally stopped running. Kyle sat on the floor, panting hard as he tried to regain his breath. Lupa stood there, her tongue lolling out slightly but her eyes alert for danger. Once Kyle had regained a bit of his composure, he looked at her. "Hey, it's okay Lupa, we lost him," he said, reaching out and laying a hand on her fur. She looked at him and snapped, nipping him on his hand. He drew back, looking at her in surprise. Her gaze softened and she whined, nuzzling him. He smiled and stroked her. "It's alright, dont worry," he assured her, but she licked at the blood welling from the bite she gave him.

Lupa felt ashamed. She had bitten her mate, and even though he had forgiven her, she was still ashamed of herself. The adrenaline was beginning to fade away now so she lay down and curled up next to her mate, lowering her head and closing her eyes, though still keeping her other senses alert. Her mate chuckled then lay down beside her, quickly falling asleep. He was growing fast. No longer was he the sad boy she had met about a week and a half ago. Soon he would be strong.

I had managed to lose the hunter and his dog. Now i tried to find the two i was supposed to protect. It took me several days. I sometimes had to go off to hunt, at which point i could lose their trail. Finally, after a week and a half of searching, i finally buckled down. If i was to find them, i would have to skip several meals. I quickly began tracking them again, following their trail while making sure that the hunter and his dog wasnt following. We were getting close to wherever we were being pulled to. Soon something would happen, though what i did not know.

They had been walking for three weeks now. As they walked along the path, Kyle looked at the sky. The sun was up at the moment, but last night the moon had only been a quater. Another week or so and Lupa would be taking her human form. Seperated from the others and with the man out there, they would be pretty vunerable. Kyle thought about this as they walked through the forest. Lupa was leading the way, her white fur visible against the greens and browns of the forest. Finally Kyle sighed and gave up, focusing on following Lupa instead.

Lupa was beginning to speed up now. They were almost there, and she had to hurry if they were to be there before she transformed. Her mate was keeping up well, barely seeming to notice that they were speeding up. She also knew that the black wolf who had protected them before was following, so she left a faint but obvious enough trail. She just hoped they werent strong enough for the dog to follow. She gazed at the sun that was beginning to set. Let us make it in time, she said to herself in wolf language.