Secret Book Club: 10

I drove easily, used to it after the last three years. I had taken the classes when I was fifteen and had gotten my learner’s permit as well as passed the written part of the test. I’d never gone in for my driving test though, because I couldn’t park for the life of me. I did figure it out, but now I’ve pushed all of the lessons out of my head so I’m not sure what will be tested. And I can’t find the time to go take the test.

“What happened?” Danny asked after a few minutes of silence.

Pursing my lips, I shrugged. “Which part?”

“All of it.”

“That would take too long. Thank you for getting the cops. I could have handled it though.” I was more annoyed than grateful, but he had only been trying to help… Since when did I care what a person’s intentions were?

He chuckled, but it was halfhearted. He was still in shock. “I know you could’ve.”

Danny was silent for the rest of the drive and when we reached the house, I found it was because he had fallen asleep at some point. I shook him awake and we went into the quiet house, tiptoeing so we wouldn’t wake anyone… only to run right into my mom.

“Where were you?” Her voice was as sharp as a butcher’s knife.

“Out for pizza?” I offered sheepishly.

She crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes. “It’s one in the morning.”

“Good, you know the time!” I responded sarcastically. “Do you mind if I go to sleep now? The phrase ‘it’s been a long day’ is an understatement.”

Mom didn’t budge. “I think it can last a little longer. This is the last time I’ll ask- where were you? Did you go to a party? Were you out drinking or getting high?” She asked the questions with disdain, but there was a sort of underlying hopefulness in her voice. She was that desperate for me to have friends.

“Working actually; I solved the case. Mariana was arrested. Or she will be after they fix her leg.”

She brought her palm to her forehead. “What did Danny have to do with it?”

“He… helped me.” I stated hesitantly. “Can we talk about this tomorrow, please?” She rolled her eyes and moved to let us pass, after promising we would have the conversation as soon as I woke up.

Danny paused at my room. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, are you out of your shock yet?” I dropped my coat onto my bed and sat down.

He shrugged. “I’m a little better. But you shot someone… and saw your friend get shot. You saw a policeman die. You were almost killed.”

“I’m used to it. And Sam will be fine... As for Colby, it’s sad, tragic, but everyone dies eventually. So are you okay?”

He hesitated, probably thinking about it. “Yeah, I guess so.”

“Good; bye.”

“Bye.”

“You can’t do this anymore.” It was six o’clock the next morning and I’d been up until at least one thirty the night before so needless to say, I was a little tired. And my mom’s ranting wasn’t helping. I was pretty sure Danny had fallen asleep on the other couch.

I groaned. “Do we have coffee?”

“Since when do you drink coffee?”

“I’ve been drinking it for a couple years! And I got like five hours of sleep,” I argued, still trying to find my anger.