The Ring Maker: 6

“That was fishy,” Danny stated as we got into the car.

I peered over at him with narrowed eyes. “What was?”

“The letter; do you really think Charlie wrote that?” He glanced at me for a split second, but I kept my face blank.

“It doesn’t seem probable, but he did- you saw the proof.”

Danny shrugged. “It could have been forged.”

“It was perfect forgery for someone who hasn’t seen his son in twenty-eight years,” I muttered, tapping my fingers along the dash.

An annoyed groan came from the seat next to me and I raised my eyebrow in question. Danny rolled his eyes. “Can you stop that? I’m trying to think- and drive.”

“Well this helps me think.” The repetitiveness always helped my mind process things better.

Danny frowned, but let it go. “So you think Charlie actually wrote back to his abusive father? And sent him a new pair of boots? But… he’s Charlie’s number one suspect.”

“Maybe he was embarrassed to tell us that he wrote back to his father, or, I don’t know, maybe he figured it was personal and had nothing to do with the threats?”

“Then why does he think his dad is the one threatening him?”

The question made me pause and, laying my head on the seat, I admitted, “I’m not sure. Maybe he thought that after he got the letter, Gregory would be mad and try to get back at him.”

“What if that is what happened? I mean, he had a whole lot of rings; you saw them.”

I sighed and shook my head. “They were from before Charlie took over the factory-” I would’ve continued, but Danny was chuckling. “What?”

“I just thought of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory… You know the movie? There’s a book, but I haven’t read it.”

Pursing my lips and shutting my eyes, I muttered, “I’m trying to think.”

“Sorry, grouchy, didn’t mean to interrupt. What were you saying?”

“The rings were older and had a different style. They were made by Charlie’s mother and kept for sentimental value. I didn’t see any newer rings.”

After a moment of silence, Danny asked, “So you think Gregory is innocent?”

“Of course not; he practically murdered someone a while ago and I think it’s pretty clear that he’s violating the HOA rules with that lawn.” I opened my eyes just in time to see Danny roll his.

“I meant, you don’t think he’s been threatening his son?”

I rolled my shoulders and sat up straighter. “I don’t think he would risk going back to jail. And he seemed ignorant and possibly even worried about the letters. I don’t think it’s him. Anyways, he’s wearing the boots that Charlie sent him; he still loves his son.”

“Then who is it?”

“That is the most important question right now, isn’t it? It could be someone that wants the business for him or herself. It could be someone with a grudge. It could simply be a customer who wasn’t happy with his ring and couldn’t get a refund. It could be anyone with the access to the factory, house and chemicals.”

Danny mulled over my words as he drove back to the house. Or at least that’s where I thought we were going until we pulled up at the local grocery store. Normally I would’ve noticed the second we left the house, but I was too busy thinking about the strange case to be bothered with where we were going. I instantly chided myself for that.