The Ring Maker: 8

I was being woken up by extensive shaking. My eyes flew open and I let out a small scream when I saw Jake jumping up and down on my bed with a huge grin. Danny and Lacey were standing at the door, the latter holding a video camera, both with the same wide smiles.

I looked back over at Jake, “Stop bouncing on my bed.”

He giggled, but got down. “It’s Christmas and we can’t open presents until you’re downstairs. Besides, your alien powers don’t work on Christmas, that’s what Danny told me.”

I glared at Danny and he smiled innocently, “You’re not allowed to use them, remember?” He was referring to how my mother wouldn’t let me solve cases during the holidays.

“Yeah, great, what time is it?”

“Seven,” Lacey answered, covering her mouth with her free hand so she could yawn. “Get up already.”

I groaned and put my head back down. “Fine, but get out so I can get dressed.”

“You’re supposed to open presents in pajamas,” Jake told me, gesturing to himself and his siblings. Their matching kitten slippers would probably be the highlight of my day.

“Well, I’m not going to so you can stay here and watch me sleep or you can leave and I’ll be down in a minute.”

“Just hurry,” he sighed, running out of the room. Lacey followed with the camera and Danny after her. Grumbling at the time, I forced myself over to my closet to pull on the first pair of clothes I found. They kind of matched.

I grabbed a few wrapped parcels from under my long desk and carried them downstairs. Everyone else was waiting around the tree, a present in each of their hands. I plopped down next to my mom on the edge of the couch. She smiled at me, “You’re up early.”

“I blame him,” I stated, pointing at Danny.

He threw his hand to his heart, trying to look offended. “I’ve never been so insulted! It was Jake’s fault!”

“No, it wasn’t!” The kid exclaimed, visibly upset.

Barry chuckled at the argument before derailing it, “Who’s ready to open presents?”

“Not me, I want to go back to sleep,” I muttered, but handed everyone their presents anyways. Mom looked thoroughly surprised by it; I hadn’t done Christmas presents since I was six.

We unwrapped our presents one at a time; everyone getting what they asked for. I had a few new science experiment tools and some books. It was after all the presents were opened and wrappers littered the floor and Mom was baking cinnamon rolls that she asked me where I had gotten the money for her present.

“I have a job,” I reminded her, crossing my legs under me on the stool.

She nodded, touching the chain of her new snowflake necklace. “But this must have cost you a small fortune, plus the presents for everyone else.”

“My last client gave me five hundred dollars if I promised not to publically share the outcome of the case,” I admitted as the home phone started ringing.

Mom sighed in exasperation, but there was a happy smile on her face. “That will be family. Will you answer it?”

Before I could reply, it stopped ringing; someone else had picked it up. “I guess I’ll answer the next call.”

“That works… Megan, are you glad that the Martins came to live with us?” Her voice was quiet and unsure. She wanted the truth.

“Yeah, I am,” I replied, tracing imaginary lines on the counter. “Especially since Danny turned out to not be as bad as I was expecting.”

She laughed. “That’s good.”

“Megan, it’s for you!” Lacey called from the living room. I hurried to grab the kitchen phone. Either something had happened at the police station or Sam was calling to wish us a happy Christmas. No one else ever called me.

Placing my hand over the transmitter, I hollered back, “I’ve got it, you can hang up.” Raising the phone to my face, I lowered my voice, “Hello?”

“Megan, is that you?” Strangely, I didn’t recognize the man that greeted me.

“Yes, who is this?”

There was a pause, but I could still hear him breathing on the other end. “It’s me, Carlos.”

I almost dropped the phone, “Dad?”