Prologue

"You do know that they are going to find us, and that the chances of us seeing the next sunrise are very thin, right?" A woman in a black cloak steals across a field of wheat, almost invisible in the dark. There is a taller figure right beside her, moving like a ghost. Barely making any sound as he walks beside her.
"You don't need to remind me, Ann. I know the odds. But we have to do this." When the taller figure speaks, his voice sounds smooth, like honey or molasses, it sounds like a voice that could lure an army off a cliff, where they would go willingly to their deaths. It doesn't sound human. "This child will be the most powerful queen of all, and she will unite all of rings, and hell know that we can't have that." The use of the word 'hell' made Ann pause, but she dismissed her worries with a shake of her head.
"But how can you justify killing a child, not even a week old?" Ann asks, her motherly instinct kicking in. The taller figure stops and turns to look at her, nt saying a word. The weight of his feels like a tonne of bricks when Ann realises that she has made her last mistake.
"I do regret this Ann, you could have gone quite far. But, nonetheless, I can't have you getting in the way if you have cold feet about this. The child must be killed." The taller figure calmly, almost casually pulls out his knife, and slits her throat leaving her body to crumple silently to the ground.
He turns around and continues walking into the night, not evens sparing her a backwards glance.