Dear Maeve...

When I enter my room, I sit down on my bed and stare at the envelope and the slightly larger package. So many thoughts are running through my head, I don't even know how I feel about this. How should I feel, with my mom talking me to me -for all intents and purposes- from the grave. I wish that instead if my birth moms handwriting, that it would be dads. I would trade it in a second to hear his last words for me, before he died.
Don't dwell on it Mae, get back to the matter at hand I tell myself before I start crying.
Maybe there was something wrong with me, is that why she left me? My hands start to tremble. Should I open it? Should I leave it, and then burn it in the fire next time I go downstairs?
I shake my head, trying to clear all the thoughts from my head. I look down, and examine the envelope. The seal is made out of black wax, and the stamp is a crown on top of a... dragon? Wyvern? I can't actually tell, since the wax has been melted just a little and smudged, like it had been done in a rush. With a sigh, I break the seal and take out the letter. When I look at it, the letter is relatively short, with an elaborate signature at the bottom.
Dear Maeve, the letter starts in elaborate flowing script, Maeve? My name is Mae... Or did my adopted mom change it a little? I wish that we could be having this conversation in person, but it is not possible. When the sun sets this evening, I will probably be dead, and you will be off to your new home, with this letter and the package in your blankets. What? She's dead? Who killed her? And why? Instead of answering my questions, this letter has given me more. I shake my head and look back down at the sheet of paper in my hands. Before I go on, I just want to say that you were perfect. A perfectly perfect baby, and I would have never given you up if I had a choice. Well, that makes me feel better... at least there wasn't something wrong with me. The reason I gave you up, is because people were coming to kill you. They wanted to kill you because you are the most powerful witch in all of time. I stop dead... Then I reread the sentence. I can't be powerful! I'm just a 15 year old girl... there is absolutely nothing special about me!! I know that you might have a lot of questions, but I need to tell you what to do before you ask them. When you turn 16, you will be immediately transported into our realm. I have sent someone to meet you, and he will guide you through your transition of learning of your powers. He will also answer all of your questions for you, if you ask.
Your birthday is on the 21 of December, the winter solstice. What?? No, it is on the 1 of January... could the people at the orphanage been wrong? I would love to say that you aren't in any danger, but that would be lying. I just hope that you survive.
You are my kingdoms ray of hope...
I love you
-High Queen Mora (Your Mom)
P.S. I hope that Aethelind helps you along your way as well... She was a good friend of mine.
Aethelind? Who is that? So many questions are whirling around my head that it takes a wile to sink in... I have to leave Mom, Katty and Eric. It's the 19th of December today... That means that I only have two days! Only two days?? I'm about to run downstairs to mom, Katty and Eric and say all the things that need to be said before I leave.
Just as I stand up, I feel a weight slide off of my lap and fall to the floor with a heavy thump, and then I remember the little package. I open it and find a small figurine of a majestic black dragon. I wonder what it is, and why my.. Mom.. decided to give it to me.
I guess that I will have to ask the person meeting me on the other side.