Saying Goodbye

Hey all! I'm sorry for posting this a day late(I'm getting off to a really great start with deadlines.. not) I was travelling all of yesterday, and I didn't have enough time. 😬
Now that I have a complete week to work on my next chapter, I will be able to get it done by Monday.
Thanks for your pacience!
-Mera
----------------------------------------------
"Shame on you Maeve." Eric's eyes are clouded with disappointment. "I'm embarrassed that I ever thought that you could be the High Queen." He shakes his head in sadness.
I try to reach out to Eric, to say something, but I realize that I'm rooted in place, not able to move or speak. Panic builds up inside of me, I wish I could ask what I did... What I did to make him lose faith in me.
"I am ashamed to call you my daughter, Maeve..." Another figure steps out of the darkness, "You dirty our family's pure blood, and to think that my people thought that you would be powerful." The woman who would be my mother scoffs in distain, then suddenly, as of posesed, flies towards me, grabs my shoulders and starts to shake me. Hard.
"Mae, Mae, MAE!" She chants... But not in her voice... It's to deep and rough.. What's going on!!
Suddenly I'm able to move! I lash out at my assailant, falling off a... Couch?
"Are you kidding me Mae?" Eric shouts as he leaps away from my flailing arms.
As the dream fades and my heartbeat slows, I find myself crying. Again. Eric must think that I'm a huge crybaby...
"Why do you have faith in me, Eric?" I question him, still not understanding myself, "Why are you so convinced that I'm the one to save you?" Eric pauses for a second, as if thinking about his answer.
"Because I've known you as for over ten years, and I know that when you have your heart set on something, you never, ever give up. Don't you remember your first tournament?" We both chuckle, remember in the time if my first fencing competition, the one where I practiced for 8 hours straight because I was worrying that I wouldn't win. Needless to say, I won. "So," Eric begins, probably about to ask why I had hot him when he was waking me up. Crap. How will I explain this? "Did you have a bad dream? What happened when I woke you up?"
"I-I just had a bad dream." If I tell him what it was about the he'll laugh... I really, really hope that he doesn't ask.
"Do you not want to talk about it?" He asks, it's almost like he can read my mind! I nod my head gratefully, so relived that I don't have to be embarrassed.
"So..." I start, trying to break the awkward silence that has fallen between us. "Why did you wake me up?" I anxiously wait for his answer, did something bad happen? Will I have to leave early, ad not say goodbye to Katty?
"Don't worry Mae! Everything's fine. You have around one hour to tell Katty that you are going away."
"One hour!" Where did all the time go? "But I thought that I'd be able to have the whole day?" I need more time! How will I tell her that I'm leaving her? Will she understand? Or will she hate me?
"Yeah... About that, we both sort of, um, slept in." Eric shuffles he's feet sheepishly. "It's almost 21h30! I'm sorry for not waking up earlier." What is sort of surprising, is that I don't feel as sad as I thought that I would be.
"What! I've never slept in that much!" I giggle slightly, because it's true.. I've never been someone to sleep lots.
"Well," Eric rubs the back of his neck selfconsiouly, "I'm glad that you got a good sleep." He smiles shyly at me, is he... flirting with me? Why would he do that?
Crap. I feel my face heating up under the intensity of his gaze. Oh god, why do I have to blush at all of he worst times? "I-I, um, thanks, did you have a good sleep as well?" Silently, I curse myself for stuttering and stumbling over my word so much. I just know that my face resembles a tomato at the moment.
"I had a good sleep, thanks for asking." He smirks, "So, do you want to go visit Katty now? I'll pick you up when it's time to go." He starts walking towards the door, without even waiting for my answer, he knows that I will want to go., since I've never passed up a chance to go to Katty's house.
"Thanks for waiting!" I holler out the open door as I run out of the living room.
"What are you going to tell her?" Eric asks once we are in the car and on our way to Katty's.
"I was thinking the truth, or will that not work?" I sure hope that it will, because that's what I'm telling her with or without Eric's permission... I'm not going to tell him that though, because then he is liable to not let me see Katty one last time.
"You could try the truth, but she is likely to hate you afterwords." When I look over at Eric, he seems sad, sad enough that I won't ask why. For the time being at least.
"What? Katty won't hate me! I'm her friend!" Why would she hate me?
"Well, she'll think that you are leaving her, on the account of a letter that you got from your dead mother, that you don't know anything about." Eric spits out those words like they taste vile. Wow. I stare at him in shock.
"Way to be blunt Eric." He starts to apologize, but when I start talking again, he stops suddenly. "But I get your point... I guess that I'd rather leave with her liking me, than her hating me." Then I pause for a second, not really believing that I'm agreeing with Eric on this. "Should I tell her that we're going camping?" He nods... I still can't believe that I'm going to lie to my best friend, and then leave her. "In that case, I just need a couple of minutes... The longer I stay with her, the easier it will be to tell her the truth." Then I laugh as I remember a saying that my dad used to say "like a surgical strike".
As soon as we stop in for of Katty's house, I jump out out of the passengers seat and race to her front door, anxious to see her one last time.
thump, thump, thump! I knock on her door waiting in anticipation. I always knock on doors, because sometimes the doorbell doesn't work, so then people never hear me.
"Hello Mae!" Katty squeals and hugs me at the door, "come in! We haven't seen each other for ages!!!"
"I, um, I don't really have the time, sorry Kats" her face falls in dissapointment. "I-I'm going camping with Eric for a couple of days." I hang my head in shame for my lie, hoping that she can't read me, and tell that I'm lying.
"Oh, well have fun!" She said suggestively. As I roll my eyes at her comment.
"C'mon Katty!" I groan,"We aren't a couple! Really!" I roll my eyes an bound down the stairs to where Eric has parked, waving goodbye as I go!
"Bye!" Katty calls, "Have fun!"
And now, at long last, we're off.