Eric

When I walk back down, I hear mom speaking with someone.. Could it be Eric?
At last, mom caches sight of me, "Oh, Mae! I forgot to tell you that Eric is going to be coming over for dinner." She smiles tightly. Wait. I know that smile... It's the smile that says I'm totally not hiding something... What are you talking about? Ugg.. She told him... Didn't she?
"Hey Eric!" I smile at him, he has been hanging around at our house a lot recently... It probably has something to do with him not coming from a great family and all. His father has some alcoholic issues and his mother left them when Eric was around 4 years old. If you are wondering, no, we are not dating... I mean.. I have considered it, but I sincerely doubt that he has any feelings for me. "How's it going? Did you get into the championships?" Oh, right, I forgot to me soon that he and I are on the same fencing team.
"Oh, things are okay, I didn't get in though... I was beaten by Neal." He frowns at that... He and Neal have never been best of buddies. Oh well... Maybe this will humble him somewhat.. He can be insufferably cocky at times.
"Aw, sorry 'bout that." I say in means of consolation.. I didn't get I either "Maybe we can have a pity party together?"
Eric chuckles, "Sure.. I'd love to! Would the 21st work out?" Wait. The 21st? Does he know that I'm going away? Did he just wink?
"Umm, I'm sort of busy that day.. How about the day after?" Does this classify as a date?
"Dinners ready!" Mom calls out... Did she hear our I tire conversation? I almost melt with embarrassment as she winks at me with the sort of expression the screams so you guys finally got together. Oh well... It couldn't stay a secret forever.
I look back at Eric, and he meets my eye, and smirks. He knows.. He must be involved. Why would he lie to me like this?
Well, all I know is the this is going to be one awkward dinner.