The Truth

"Eric, are you hiding something from me?" I stop in the middle of the hallway leading to the front door.
"What do you mean?" Eric answers guiltily, not meeting my eyes.
"Eric! Really? So you know about my birth mother? Is all of it real?" I look up at him with my fists clenched. I can't believe that he'd lie to me like that! Outrageous!!
"Slow down, slow down... All of your questions will be answered soon." Eric's eyes where gleaming with amusement. I can't believe that he thinks that this is funny!
"Why not now?" I know that I sound like a petulant child, but I can't help wanting to know that thing that had ruined my life.
"Sorry Maeve," Maeve.... He called me Maeve. So it's decided then... He really did lie to me my whole life. I can't believe that he'd do that to me!
He must have seen the anger in my eyes, because he backed away a little bit, and raised up his hands. "I didn't have a choice in the matter Maeve... I had to obey the wishes of my dying Queen."
"But-" I start to ask a question.
"Maeve! Hear me out! Please!" At least he's finally starting to sound agitated... I'm glad I'm not the only one!
"Please stop calling me that!"
"Calling you what?" Eric sounds confused, which is probably a sham because he knows exactly what I mean.
"Maeve! My name is Mae, so please call me Mae."
"But it's your name in the Forgotten Kingdoms, therefor..." He trails off at the end if the scentence, leaving it for me to finish.
"But we're not in the Forgotten Kingdoms, now are we?" I know that I've got him trapped now.
"Fine," He pauses angrily "Mae."
"Why thank you." Sarcasm drips off my words, I can't believe that it took that long just to get him to call me by my own name!
"So what is the deal with the dragon bracelet?" I ask hesitantly... I wonder if he will tell me anything, or will he make me wait until we are transported to the Forgotten Kingdoms.
"Oh! Do you mean Aethelind?" He sounds surprised, as if he expected me to know this already. "She was your mothers guardian, they where incredibly close" Eric smiles, his eyes far away, as if he is remembering something happy.
"Guardian? How can she be close to a dragon? Is she able to speak with dragons? I don't understand!" What is going on? It's all so confusing... What is my life coming to?
"Slow down Mae! One question at a time please! Okay, each queen is assigned a dragon companion, or guardian to guide them and give them advice. When you are bound to a dragon, you can send them thoughts, you will find out when Aethelind is bound to you. Aethelind has been your guardian has been in your family for centuries. Under different circumstances, Aethelind would have become our guardian when you came of age, or ascended to the throne." Eric sighed, then turned to walk out the door, leaving me with a thousand questions whirling around in my head.
"Eric! Wait I still have so many-" the door slams shut, cutting of my scentence. I guess he got sick of me asking so many questions all of the time.
I am still staring at the door when Mom walks down the hall, toward me. "Mae..." She says, her face pale and her hands trembling "Is it true what I heard? Will you truly be leaning me?" Damn. She must have heard!
"Mom," I begin, then I stop... I can't keep secrets from my mother... Not at a time like this. "Here is what happened..." I start to explain, and brace myself for what she is going to say to me afterwords.