Into The Woods part 5

It was a mistake to bring Cardlin to work with me. I haven't probably processed the fact that Daniel and I aren't together anymore,much less the fact that he seems to have moved on nicely.

And..ugh, I definitely wasn't thinking straight- God, your boyfriend? Smooth,very smooth. You barely know him! And he- he's a bear man, or something. I can barely handle that right now.

"Um, Y/N? Are you okay?" Cardlin reaches out and touches your shoulder gently,and you jump,blinking,the clouded look in your eyes disappearing.

"Huh? Oh yeah,why?"

"Oh,no reason. Except the fact that we've just been standing in front of the building for the last five minutes. And,um,i'm not exactly clothed." He says softly,his cheeks a light red.

You blink,and feel yourself flushed, embarrassed,as you grab his hand,and pull him towards the parking lot,trying to ignore the stares,and the clusters of co-workers watching you pass by,giggling and waving at Cardlin like school girls.

"I'm sorry about that, I just need to get out of here, is that okay with you?" You say after you get back in your car,laying your head on the sterring wheel,and turning to smile sadly at Cardlin.

"I didn't have much work to do today anyway. So we can go anywhere you want. I just need to clear my head."

"Anywhere?" You nod,grinning now,as you sit up,turning the engine over.

"Ah,well,maybe you should pick,the only hot spots I know here,are all in the forest." Cardlin says,smiling.

"Oh- Right,i keep forgetting, how about I show you around your home; on a larger scale?"

He nods,smiling at you,a strange look crossing his face. You blush,looking away. "What?" You ask, tugging at the scarf around your neck.

"Nothing." He says,looking away quickly. "S-sorry for staring."

You smile,finding his shyness adorable.

"It's fine~ Well..first things first,i'll go to the mall, if you're going to be...living with me,we have to get you a wardrobe of your own." You smile a little,pulling out of the lot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

Five flannels,two pairs of jeans, a pair of kicks, and about six beanies later, you hop back into the car,turning to stare out the window giving him some privacy.

"Um, Y/N."

"Hm?" You turn,taking that as his cue that he was done,only to have to turn away again quickly,heat creeping up the back of your neck.

"Um,Cardlin, why do you only have a shirt on?"

You hear him shift around in his seat, "Um,i kind of need those." You blink turning back towards him,keeping your eyes on his face,before you follow his pointing finger to your lap.

Your mouth forms a perfect 'o',as you look down at the boxer package clutched in your hands. You blush,and thrust the package towards him,unsure of why you were holding them in the first place. It'd been easy enough to find them,but it'd been nerve racking as you'd stared at the package in the store for far to long,trying to figure out his size, feeling as if everyone was watching you.

"Okay,i'm decent now." You nod stiffly,without looking at him. "Okay,now  I can start you tour." Youi say,your tone sharp,and shaky. How much more embarrassing could this day get?

"Er,wait,before we go,i had a question."

"Shoot." You still wouldn't look at him,your cheeks still heated.

"What exactly does it mean. That i'm your boyfriend?" He rolls the word off his tongue,like it's foreign to him.

You look at him now,and you pause taking him on. You blink. He looks really  good in the outfit. It's simple,but it fits him so well,and it takes you a bit to realize that he's talking again,staring down at his hands.

"....Because you didn't sound to happy about it. Di-did I do something wrong?"

"What? No,god no,you didn't do anything wrong. It just means..."

You stop,thinking about his question. What does it mean for the both of you? You couldn't deny that you were attracted to Cardlin,but the only other person you'd had feelings for, had broken your heart. And though you hadn't been thinking straight when you said it,the thought of you and Cardlin together,felt so right,and so strangely familiar..and a feeling growing in your chest was so immense-not love  exactly for him,but something close to it- you had to take a few deep breaths,and steady yourself.

"I-it, means that I trust you,and you're my best friend,someone I care for. Someone I trust." You finally say,and it hurts when you think about the fact that Daniel never really felt like any one of those. But you smile up at Cardlin.

"You..care,for me?"

You open your mouth,and then you stop,thinking about your words.

"In a way. I don't know a lot about you,and I just met you yesterday," You say carefully,watching Cardlin,something flickering in his brown eyes,disappearing just as soon as it came. "But I feel like,i know you,and i'm comfortable around you. And i'm beginning to care for you." You rest your head against the steering wheel,closing your eyes. "Does that make sense?"

"Cardlin?" You open your eyes,startling as you do,Cardlin smiling at you,inches away from your face. You smile tentatively back. "And..how do humans show that they care about one another."

You blush at his sudden straightforwardness,but you swallow,and move closer.

"They..they do this."

You say,and you close your eyes,pressing your lips gently against Cardlin's,his hand reaching up to caress your cheek gently. The kiss is slow,and gentle,but it make you dizzy nonetheless when you pull apart.

"Then..Y/N, I care for you to." Cardlin says,kissing your cheek.