Chapter 2: Filling in eyebrows is as complicated as talking to boys

Turns out it was very hard. Her grandpa simply wouldn't budge. She tried everything from buttering him up with his favorite pie to washing his car but his answer was always the same. A big fat no. Lenox wasn't giving up though. It was time to bring out the big guns. That night she waited till the nightly news was over before approaching.

"Grandpa, have you talked to Dad?" she asked. Lenox figured the only thing big enough to change Grandpa's mind was his pride.

His bushy eyebrows, which desperately needed some grooming, furrowed together. "No. Why?"

"Oh," she whispered, trying to look nervous and contrite. "I thought...well, he said he had—um..."

His eyes grew wary. "He said what?"

"I told Dad how you guys don't have any wi-fi and he..." Lenox shrugged a shoulder. "Well, you know how he is." If her father thought they needed wi-fi, he would buy it in seconds. Of course, it wasn't true but she could tell Dad and he could order wi-fi.

"Damn it," Grandpa swore. "We don't need anything."

"I could tell him not to order it," Lenox suggested innocently.

The lines on his weathered face grew deep as he gave her a suspicious look.

"Of course, it's going to take a lot of convincing. Dad's so stubborn," Lenox went on, gingerly sitting on the couch next to his armchair. She felt a tinge of guilt for what she was about to do, but it wasn't as if her grandparents hadn't done the same thing. After all, the only reason she was in Ashwick was because of a deal. "Maybe—"

"You're not going, Lenox."

Shit. He saw through her so easily. How'd he do that? 

He continued, "And nothing you do or say will change my mind so you can stop. Just stop."

"I know you don't want me to go but what if—" The words dried up in her throat as he sent her a quelling look. It was the same look Dad gave when he was about to lose his temper. She knew from experience not to argue with that. Not if she wanted to be in major trouble.

All hope of seeing Kaylie went up in flames. She was so close and yet there was nothing she could do. What was his problem? Didn't he see how important this was to her? It was more than just meeting her favorite YouTuber. It was about getting out of Ashwick. Showing her friends that she was having fun too. She hated watching all those Snapchat videos of her friends goofing off while she was sitting on her bed eating ice cream. Meeting Kaylie was supposed to redeem this summer and now it was nothing but a missed opportunity.

Frustration clawed at her as she marched to her room. She wanted to slam the door but knew it would only get her in trouble. Instead she flopped down on her bed, covered her mouth with a pillow, and screamed. She felt trapped here. Like the walls were holding her hostage.

Her grandmother suddenly knocked on the door. "Lenox? Everything alright in there, honey?"

The concern was suffocating. She didn't need constant supervision. Didn't they realize she was old enough to make her own choices? Do her own thing?

Another knock. "Lenox?"

Sighing, Lenox rolled onto her back. "Yeah. It's all good."

"You sure?"

"Yes," she snapped. It came out harsher than she meant to. In a gentler tone, she added, "I'm fine. Really." Please just go. Before I say something I regret.

There was a long pause, and for a moment Lenox feared her grandma would come in, but eventually she padded away. However, the relief was brief. Now that she was alone, Lenox didn't know what to do with herself. She wasn't ready for bed, but she couldn't very well go downstairs where her grandparents were.