Chapter 6: Dating is like finding the perfect foundation

Lenox was hesitant for her date with Callen. If he liked Natalie, then what was he doing with her? Had he ever asked her out? Had they kissed? Hooked up? All those questions swirling around and no answers. At the creek, she watched him closely, hoping for a sign, but he was so friendly with everyone it was hard to distinguish if he was paying special attention to Natalie or not. Lenox considered calling off the date but every time she tried talking to him he would flash that smile and the words would shrivel in her throat.

By Sunday, Lenox figured she'd go on the date and see what happened. Maybe Kaylie was right and Callen was ready to move on. And if he wasn't, well, then she was screwed because she really wanted this to work. As she got ready, her phone rang. It was Molly on FaceTime.

"Hey, stranger," she said, putting down a brush and angling the phone so they could see each other. This was the first phone call they had since she got to Ashwick.

"Hey, girl. What's up?" Molly was sitting on her bed with a bag of chocolate. "You getting ready for your date with market boy?"

So she had seen those texts. Lenox wasn't sure because she never got a response.

"Yeah. Putting on my makeup right now." Lenox aimed the phone at the bottles and compacts on the table. "I'm trying to figure out which foundation I should use." She'd been out in the blistering sun so much she'd gotten a subtle tan. It wasn't anything like the rich golden color of Kaylie or Callen but for her pasty skin, it was pretty darn good.

She studied the bottles on the table. Why was it so hard to find the perfect foundation? Even if she got the right color, which was ridiculously hard to do, the foundation may not work with her skin type or it could break her out. She felt like Goldilocks trying out the all the different porridges till she found her perfect match.

"What are your options?" Molly asked.

Lenox showed her. She had a mineral foundation, a liquid, a pressed powder and a tinted moisturizer. All had different textures and finishes. "I want to use the liquid since it'll stay the longest but it's too light." The mineral powder was the perfect color but sometimes it could look cakey on her face, especially if she used a liquid concealer on top like she planned to do. She realized in the grand scheme of things, the color of a foundation wasn't important, but to her, looking good was a boost to her self-confidence which eased some of her nerves.

"If you want your foundation to last all night, use the liquid," Molly told her.

"But what about the color?"

"It's going to be nighttime right? No one will notice. Besides add some bronzer and you'll be fine." It was a good idea. One Lenox should have thought of if she hadn't been so busy wondering about Callen and that crush on Natalie. Speaking of Natalie, she wondered if she'd be there tonight at the movie. Lenox assumed so. When she told her grandparents about her date with Callen they made it seem like the whole town went to these events. Would Natalie be bothered seeing her there? Would Callen be bothered seeing Natalie?

Lenox propped her phone on the desk and started to apply her foundation as she continued to talk with Molly. She told her all about Kaylie and how she was going to be her personal assistant.

"I can't frickin' believe your grandparents live in the same town as Kaylie!" Molly exclaimed. "But why didn't you figure this out before when you met her at the meet and greet? Didn't she recognize you or at least recognize your grandparents?"

Good question. Lenox wracked her brain for an excuse. "My grandparents weren't there. I went alone. And she's not really close to them so..."

"I thought you said Ashwick was a small town where everyone knew everyone?"