Chapter 4: A little concealer and a lie never hurt anyone

When Lenox asked her grandparents for permission to go to the creek she expected to be turned down flat but she was surprised. They immediately agreed, which made no sense because both times involved Kaylie. Why let her be with Kaylie in Ashwick and not Fairview? Turns out her grandparents had no idea it was the same Kaylie!

"I knew she was doing something with makeup," said Grandma.

Something? It was a hell a lot more than something. But Lenox understood her grandma wasn't that big into makeup. "Didn't you recognize her when I showed you one of her YouTube videos?"

"The screen is so small," she explained, pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose. "But imagine that. Our Kaylie. No wonder Mary's so proud."

"Mary?" Lenox asked.

"Her grandma. Always brags about Kaylie at the town meetings. Tends to go on and on. A little too much in my opinion." A sheepish look. "I tune her out when she starts."

Lenox hid a smile. She liked knowing her oh-so-proper grandma could behave in such a manner. Then she thought over what was said, and what wasn't. "What about Callen? Doesn't she brag about him?"

"Oh. Well...sure, I guess."

That answer spoke volumes. Lenox wondered if Mary talked about Kaylie so much because she favorited her granddaughter or because of something else. For once, Lenox was happy to be an only child. No one else to compete against.

Her grandma must have seen Lenox's frown because she went on, "It's just Cal is here. Don't need to hear about him. I see him all the time."

Maybe that was it, but something told Lenox there was more to the story. What happened at Jennings Market had been too tense. But it seemed whatever issues they had remained between family and not discussed with friends. "So then where does Kaylie live?" It seemed like Kaylie lived in Ashwick, but when Lenox Googled her mailing address that was listed on her page it said Kaylie lived in a city almost four hours away.

"She moved to Erwin about a year ago, but she occasionally comes home for the weekend. Especially around the holidays." Her grandma got up and went to the closet where they stored their coats.

If what Grandma said was true, this might be Lenox's only shot at spending time with her. She better make the most of it. A mental list was already forming. Charge phone, paint nails, pick out a cute outfit—

An old army bag was dropped in Lenox's lap. She sneezed as the dust flew into the air.

"Here's a bag to put all your stuff in," Grandma told her. "You can take it with you on Saturday."

"That's okay. I have a bag." A beautiful leather one that was as soft as butter.

Her grandma snorted. "Can't take one of your fancy bags to the creek. This one will serve you better. Can get dirty and torn up and no one will care."

Lenox eyed the military green canvas. The edges were frayed and the handle in tatters. It was interesting...in a vintage sort of way. And it would have to do because she couldn't toss it to the side. Not with the way her grandma looked at it. Like there was a hundred memories attached to it and all of them good. So Lenox ignored the layer of dirt and grime, hugged it to her chest and gave her grandma a thankful smile.

That Saturday, Lenox took her time getting ready. She wanted to impress not only Kaylie, but Callen as well. Make him see what he was missing. She carefully applied her makeup, wanting to appear bronzed and dewy without over doing it. She kept her eyes simple only coating her lashes with waterproof mascara. Nothing worse than mascara running down a face or looking like a drowned raccoon. Then she blow dried her hair and curled a few pieces to give it a tousled look.