Chapter 11: Hard work and red lips never go out of style

Lenox poked the inside of her cheek with her tongue as her grandma swerved to avoid the dead possum on the road. "You don't have to drop me off every day, Grandma." She'd insisted on driving Lenox to and from work even though Lenox had a driver's license.

"Nonsense. What else would I be doing?"

"Watching your soap operas."

"I have those recorded."

Yeah, by an old VCR machine. Lenox tried to talk her grandparents into getting a DVR system, explaining how easy it was to use, but they refused to spend money on something so frivolous. Their words, not hers. She had a feeling anything involving modern technology was considered frivolous.

"Besides, I like driving," her grandma added. "It soothes me."

Lenox didn't see how. Not with the engine spewing sounds every couple minutes. Sounded like a dying animal. "Have you thought about getting a new car?"

Her grandma patted the steering wheel. "This works just fine."

Until it broke down. Lenox hated to think of her grandma all alone on the side of a road. Who knows what weirdos could stop and take advantage of her. "Yeah, but this doesn't have GPS and other cool features like a rearview camera."

"Darling, I've been parking for over fifty years. Didn't need one then, don't need one now."

"Yeah, but you're old." A raised eyebrow had Lenox scrambling to explain. "I mean not old old, but old enough. And your eyesight isn't as great as it used to. If you get a new car, it can help you with all types of things." Like parking. She'd noticed several dents in the bumper and her grandparents straining to see over the trunk. "Dad would be happy to buy you one."

"We don't need your Dad's money. We have more than enough to cover our expenses."

The staunch statement frustrated Lenox. "Why are you and Grandpa so against Dad?"

Startled, her grandma glanced over. "Oh, honey. We're not. We love your Dad."

Didn't seem that way. "You always fight with him."

"That's not true. Remember our badminton tournament last year?"

A reluctant smile peaked out. "We spent the day playing in Central Park." They'd laughed themselves silly over Grandpa's horrible playing skills. Afterward, they'd all gone for ice cream and then watched a jazz concert in the park.

"See? We have fun.We just have different views on things, that's all."

"Like money," Lenox filled in.

"Like money." Her grandma hesitated. "I know you don't understand it, but your grandfather and I are happy with what we have. We love our life. Love what we created."

"But it hurts Dad when you refuse things," Lenox argued. She saw the dejected looks, heard the frustrated sighs. "He just wants to help."

She gave Lenox's hand a quick squeeze. "I know. And deep down, so does your grandfather."

If they knew, then why didn't they accept his help? Didn't they see he offered out of love? She supposed adult relationships were more complicated than that. Then she thought of Molly. Maybe it wasn't just adults who dealt with complicated.

Lost in thought, Lenox didn't realize they were in front of Callen's apartment till her grandma nudged her. Saying her goodbye, Lenox exited the car and made her way to Callen's place.

It'd been a week since she started as Kaylie's personal assistant and so far, she hadn't done anything overly exciting. Just organizing papers, washing brushes, and sorting through mail. She didn't complain though. She had a feeling Kaylie was testing her, making sure she could be trusted before giving her more responsibilities.