Chapter 5: Situation's getting stickier than lip gloss

Lenox got out of the car and ducked around low hanging branches that shaded the area. "This is the creek?" Didn't look like one. Not that she would have any clue what a creek looked like but she was expecting something less lush and green. It was like something out of The Secret Garden.

Kaylie took a tote bag and several inner tubes out of the trunk. "The creek is down a ways. Hope you brought your trekking shoes."

Lenox looked down at her glittery sandals. No one said anything about trekking.

"This is yours." Kaylie thrust an inner tube at her. It looked like a pink donut with white frosting and rainbow sprinkles. Kaylie hoisted the other two on her shoulder and grabbed her tote. She headed to one particularly wild looking bush. It was at least a head taller than her and the vines were exploding everywhere. Lifting an armful, Kaylie went underneath.

Armed with the inner tube and her grandmother's bag, Lenox followed. The dirt trail led them down a steep mountain with loose rocks and lots, lots of bugs. And they weren't regular sized bugs either. No, these were mammoth. Some as big as her hand. By the time they reached the creek, Lenox's feet and ankles were covered in dirt and bug bites. Not to mention her shins were killing her. All that downhill momentum had done a number on them.

I really hope this creek is worth it, she thought as she swatted another mosquito away. Then she looked up.

Holy crap.

This was unlike anything she could have imagined. Nestled among the rich vegetation was a stream of water that lazily winded through the mountains. There was a natural break in the creek that led to an inlet where a bunch of people were swimming and horsing around. A couple of them swung off a long rope that was tied to a tree at the water's edge.

Nearby, a row of picnic tables were pushed together. Every square inch was filled with various food and drinks. Everything from sandwiches and potato salad to strips of steak. People clustered around the tables, laughing and drinking as they ate. Lenox almost salivated when she saw the jug of what she assumed was lemonade. Something sweet and tart sounded so good right about now. She was about to ask Kaylie if anyone could have some when someone shouted, "You're back!"

A guy in red board shorts ran over to Kaylie. He picked her up and twirled her around. "It hasn't been the same without you. Please tell me you're here for good."

"Only for the summer. Sorry, Judd," Kaylie replied.

"Suppose that'll do." He kept his hands on her waist even after putting her down. "What can I get you to drink? Got some of Nana's famous sweet tea. Made it extra strong. Just the way you like."

Kaylie patted his chest. "You know me so well."

"I should. You're my number one girl."

"Judd..."

"What?" A twinkle entered his eye. "Just 'cuz we're not together anymore doesn't mean you can't be my number one."

"I thought you were dating Shelley?"

"We're just fooling around."

"Like we were fooling around?"

"Aw, come on, Kay. You know it's not like that. It was different with us."

A nostalgic look crossed Kaylie's face. "Yeah, it was different." For a split second it looked like she was going to say something more but she kissed his cheek instead and said, "Let's go get that drink."

He sent her a sad smile. Then turned to an older looking crowd and shouted, "Hey, guys! Guess who decided to show up?" There was a loud whoop followed by cries of Kaylie's name. Soon Lenox was edged out as people came running to give Kaylie a hug. Looked like she was as popular on YouTube as she was in real life.