Get out alive

'No time for goodbye he said

as he faded away.'

I gasped for breathe, a red light and black smoke blocking my vision, consuming me. I choked on the smoke, and tried desperately to walk out, only to stumble and clutch a wall.

'Don't put your life

in someone's hands they are bound to steal it away.'

I reached the door but a burning beam fell and blocked my way. I turned around and stumbled back, hacking, trying to keep my breathe clear. All I could hear is the crackling of the fire, that is consuming my home. All I could feel was the fire's heat burning through my clothes.

'Don't hide your mistakes

Cause they'll find you, and burn you.'

I saw the window and I tried to make my way to it.

'Then he said...'

I reached the window and I smashed my hand against it. Thud! Thud! Thud!

'If you wanna get out alive...

Whoa~oh, run for your life.'

I grabbed my flower vase, and with the rocks in it. I smashed the window open.

'If you wanna get out alive...

Whoa~oh, run for you life.'

I crawled out the window, not caring if I was cut up. And I made it to the emergency stairs.

'This is my last  chance, she said..

as she faded away.'

I wanted to scream, but the smoke filled my lungs. I was about to go down, when a hand blocked my exit.

'It's hard to image.

But one day, you'll end up like me.'

"Here take my hand!" A man, with blonde hair reached out to me. I hesitated, and walked the other way, running down the stairs. "HEY! Ungrateful Bitch!"

He seized my elbow and threw against the window.

'Then she said...

If you wanna get out alive

                                                                             Whoa-oh run for your life.'

I grabbed a glass shard, that must've fallen from my window and hit him in the arm. He screamed and I ran down as fast as I could.

'If you wanna get out alive---Whoa~oh, run for your life.

If you wanna get out alive---Whoa~oh, run for your life.

                                                If you wanna get out alive---Whoa~oh, run for your life.'

"Come back here!" His feet smashed down against the bars as he chased after me. I coughed again but continued to run. A loud bang was shot, and I swerved just in time to avoid the bullet.

'If I stay it won't be long

Till I'm burning on the inside.

If I go I can only hope

That I make it to the other side.'

I coughed and tripped on a stone. I gasped as I landed, but quickly pushed myself up, pumping my legs to make up for loss.

'If you wanna get out alive

Whoa~oh run for your life.'

"Come here!" I gasped, as he grabbed my hair. He yanked me back and out of the corner of my eye, I could see a pocket knife. I relaxed, and as soon as it came down I leaped forward and felt the tension from where he held me relax. I ran and jumped down the next flight, and did the same for the next flight. Three flights down, I ran.

'If you wanna get out alive

Whoa~oh run for...'

I ended up at a dead end. I pulled the stairs down and swung over the the other side and quickly slid to the last bar.

'If you wanna get out alive

Whoa-oh run for your life.

If you wanna get out alive

Whoa~ oh run for....'

I let go of the bar and crashed down. I felt pain surge through me as I landed on my feet. Ignoring it, I ran towards the sound of the siren, then stopped. I turned around and ran to the other side, where the sirens and firefighters were nowhere to be seen.

                                                                               'If I stay, It won't be long~

Till I'm burning on the inside.

If I go I can only hope

That I make it to the other side.'

"Hey! Catch her!" The guy from before yelled and pointed in my direction. The sound of bullets echoed as I ran.

' If I stay it won't be long

Till I'm burning on the inside.

If I go, and If I go!

Burning on the inside!

Burning on the inside!'

In memory of those who perished at the shooting on June 11, 2016.