Little lights

The little lights are in all of them. Except her. She didn't have anything. But she loved the watching the little lights.

They were bright! They were blinded if you had one. They'd glow brighter and harder the more they felt. They stayed bright.... as long as they stayed pure.

But she was there. She saw lights around her dim. She saw the white mix with red, and black. Sometimes in blue. The world was losing their lights and they encouraged it.

She is now 20 years of age. The ones around her are so dark, she is struggling. She is trying to shine bright, to make them shine bright. She told jokes that made them burn a bit brighter. But they were still too dark. She said what they wanted to hear and they seemed happier......

"Mary.... how can you, one without a light, glow?" She jumped up in the air.

"What do you mean?" She turned back to the oven, opening the door, checking on the cake.

"You seem bright.... wonder why?" They shrugged it off and she smiled over she shoulder.

"Can you get me the icing?" They nodded and turned away, not noticing the creeping frown....

If only they knew the truth. They were the brightest lights she'd ever seen. But the world seemed to color them dark. When they turned around her smile was back in place.

"If only the world didn't hurt you like this..."