0 | Prologue

OCTOBER, ----, 2010

"Do you know what's going on?" I adjust my cellphone so that I was holding it in between my ear and shoulder. Multi-tasking was a pain in the ass, but getting scolded by my mother after hanging up suddenly would be a bigger pain.

"I don't know. Your father's trying to talk to the front desk." My mom's voice comes through the line.

I hum in half-interest as I continue to fold my laundry, while also watching TV. Although it was, in fact, a nuisance that my parent's flight got delayed, I couldn't do anything about it either.

"They're saying some kind of riot is happening. People are going rabid."
I could faintly hear my father's voice. Although I heard what he said, I never processed his words.

"All the flights are cancelled now. They won't even let us leave the airport."
My mom informed me.

I turn my attention away from the TV as I carry my basket of newly, folded laundry into my room, "I'm sure it's not a big deal."
"If the riot gets any bigger, it will be."
My mother complains to me. I roll my eyes amused at her overreacting.

"Samantha... We're going to have to call you back." My mother suddenly changed her tone.

"What's wrong? Did something happen?"
I ask more genuinely than before.
Faint sounds of commotion were able to make it through the phone. If I could hear it, then it must be really loud to them.

"I think the herd of rioters got into the airport. Security is moving us somewhere else." She yells into the call. I pull the phone away from my ear at her sudden change of volume. It must be really loud in the airport.

"Okay. I'll call you back later." I respond nonchalantly; completely unaware to what was going on.

"Okay... We love you, Samantha." Before I could respond, my mother ended the call.
I put my phone down of my nightstand and start to stash my folded clothes into my closet.

I forgot I left the TV running. I wasn't there to see my favorite program switch to the news when they announced a Code Red. I completely missed their warnings of a disease spreading throughout the country.

~~~~~

"Life is trial by fire,
And love's the sweetest taste,
And I pray it lifts us higher,
Back to one safe place."