5 | The Cranks

HALFWAY MARK
A/N: I don't usually do these author notes, because I try to limit them so you can just go straight to reading. But I just wanted to let you guys know that the book is halfway done! I've also noticed that throughout the book, there haven't been many Crank/Walker kills, so I've edited through the book to add some more action. So maybe the book will make more sense if you read Chapter I again. Also, the walking dead cast will start appearing in the next chapter. But nobody wants to know that, right? :)
This note is already longer than I hoped it would be, so I'll end it now. Enjoy!

Gally was visibly struggling to lift the window frame up. Veins were literally popping out of his neck from all the work. I chuckle to myself and rush over to Gally, just as he gave up and let the wooden frame fall back on the ground with a thud.
"Need some help?" Gally looked surprised as I went to the opposite side and grasped the ledge. We lifted it with ease, now that the weight was equally divided.
"What you doing here, Greenie?" He asked as I held the frame upright so he could hammer it into the wall.

"The Med-Tents were uneventful today. No patients came in. All you Builders and Slicers are being very careful today."
He gave a throaty laugh as he went on to the next nail. Gally and I weren't that close yet. He didn't seem to fully trust me yet; unlike my friendship with Thomas and Newt, but I'll break through to him one day.

"How come the Runners didn't go on their daily run?" I asked as I caught a glimpse of some Runners helping the Track-hoes plow the soil. Gally looks behind his shoulder to see what I was talking about. He gave a nonchalant shrug before continuing to ram the nails into the frame, "I heard Alby wanted to talk with MinHo in private before he goes. They've been in Council Hall since morning. The Runners can't run without the Keeper's instructions."

I released the frame from my grasp as Gally finished hammering the last nail.
I glance over at the Council Hall to see the doors were closed. Was something wrong?

~~~~~

MinHo and Alby walked out of the Council Hall half an hour later. Before anyone could confront either one of them about what they were discussing in private, they both went off in two different directions.
It was never brought up again until sunset.

MinHo was talking with Clint outside the Med-Tents, while I started to put away all the medical supplies we used today. I gave up on eavesdropping when all the words they said came through mumbled.
I immediately stood tall when I heard someone enter the Med-Tents. Clint stood at the entrance watching me. He nodded,
"Sam... You're dismissed."

My body wasn't able to react immediately, because Clint never forced me to leave before. It was a new experience to be kicked out. I dropped what I was holding and started towards the exit, "See you tomorrow then..."

"You won't be here tomorrow." I stop in my tracks and turn to Clint with a look of bewilderment,
"Why... Why not?"
Clint gave me a small smile, "You're no longer reporting to me anymore. Starting tomorrow, you're no longer a Med Jack."
Everything came crashing down.
I'm not a Med Jack anymore?
Was it something I did?
Was I unqualified to be a Med-Jack?

What really bothered me was that Clint was smiling the whole time; like he was happy I'm no longer going to be in the Med-Tents.
There was nothing I could do though. Clint was the Keeper of The Med-Jacks, so his decision was final.
"I understand..."