6 | The Visitors

4 years later...

~~~~~
THIRD PERSON POV
"Another week. I bet they just need another week." Gally stated out loud, causing Newt to laugh.
"You said 1 week the first time we made a bet, and look where we are 4 years later." Newt exclaimed.

Newt, Gally, and Thomas were huddled into a group as they spoke secretly amongst themselves. They were in a hurry to finish up before Sam and MinHo get back from their run. Newt whispered, "I bet another month. They're both too stubborn for their own shucking good."

"I bet two weeks. They're on the brink of confessing, I'm sure." Thomas said.
"What are you shanks doing here instead of doing your job?" The trio looked up just as Alby trudged up to them begrudgingly.
"We're just talking about... stuff." They all became fidgety on the spot from being caught by their leader. Alby wasn't convinced, "Very funny... Now tell me the truth."

Newt, Gally, and Thomas looked amongst each other to see who would speak up first.
"We were making a bet on how long it'll take before Sam and MinHo FINALLY start dating."

"MinAm for life!" Newt yelled, making everyone else laugh. Except for Alby. He never really laughs. He smiled at least.
What the trio least expected was for Alby to join in on their bet.
"I give them about a month..."

~~~~~

I laugh at a witty joke MinHo made just as we run up to the gate of The Glade. 4 years later, and MinHo still makes me laugh without a care in the world. A Bagger opened the gate when they saw us approach. MinHo and I entered The Glade like we have for the past 4 years.
4 years as a Runner... 6 years of the post-apocalypse... Time really does fly.

My friendships have strengthened over time as well. MinHo was the person I trusted most. Newt and Thomas were my best friends. Gally was like a protective brother. And Alby and I respected each other deeply after I heard about what he did in the past.

Alby always wants me to be the one to talk to newcomers in The Glade, since he says I'm a people person. It's funny... because literally 4 years ago I wasn't.
MinHo and I stopped outside the Map Room. I ran out of water a few miles back, so all I could do was catch my breath. MinHo seemed to take notice of my lack of hydration.

He opened his water bottle and put a hand on my shoulder in a caring manner. He held the water bottle out for me to take. I shucking swear... My heart skipped a beat when my fingers accidentally touched his when I took the water bottle.

I confess that my relationship with MinHo wasn't on the dating level... but it also admittedly was beyond the friend zone. At least the way we acted wasn't... and it was obvious we were into each other. But I guess we never acted upon it. Am I scared he would reject me? Yes I bloody am.

After reporting to the Map Room, we split up so we could freshen up before Dinner.
On my way to the showers, I spot a group of Gladers huddled together. After a closer inspection, I realized that the 4 Gladers were coincidentally all of my best friends in The Glade. I sneak up behind them, as Thomas, Newt, Gally, and Alby continue to whisper amongst themselves.

"What are you slintheads doing so secretly?" I exclaimed loud enough to make them jump up in surprise. They all looked like deers caught in headlights when they realize it was me. I cross my arms and smirk as I watch them become awkward. Alby clears his throat, "Okay shanks, back to work!"