The Truth About the LGBT Community in Africa

by Abigail (@bobam1beaux)

The LGBT community has been growing support at a prolific rate and has broken barriers in eradicating the stigma surrounding their community. Many are now fighting for the human rights movement to allow them basic rights - the freedom to marry those they love. It was an amazing day when the law was passed in the USA to allow same sex marriages, many states and towns now have LGBT centers to support people in areas providing guidance, counseling and in general a place where they can truly express themselves and how they feel without judgment or prejudice.

However it is not like that in every country of the world, in certain countries being part of the LGBT community is frowned upon and many people feel the need to hide who they truly are from their families and loved ones. Where I live being part of the LGBT community is a criminal offence and people face the threat of being imprisoned or even killed by any of those who find out and sadly the government turns a blind eye. While this is the general atmosphere in Africa, some places are more liberal and accepting. A prime example is South Africa where the LGBT community is more accepted and their basic human rights are enshrined and protected in the constitution. Being gay is seen as taboo and some of those who come out as gay are even disowned. Just last month the show 'I Am Cait" depicting transition of Bruce Jenner into Caitlyn Jenner on E! Entertainment is no longer airing in all countries of Africa except South Africa due to broadcasting regulators receiving complaints on the 'appropriateness' or lack thereof for the African viewers.

That is not to say that this is the case in every country, being accepted in society primarily starts from home. Many parents and family members of those in the LGBT community are giving the support to their loved ones who sorely need it. People have stopped turning a blind eye to them and they are slowly but surely gaining the support and respect they deserve. One way we can improve this is by eradicating the ideology that being homosexual or transgender is a sick product of "westernization" and more a fact of life and a course of nature. No one was made to become homosexual; they are born that way – the same way that a child may be born with blue eyes or brown hair. The stigma surrounding the LGBT community stems from the beliefs installed in majority of us that a family unit comprises of a man and woman alongside their children, anything other than that is seen as unnatural and is frowned upon. Other disadvantages to the LGBT community are that the most practiced religions in Africa are Islam and Christianity, conservative religions usually intolerant to the rights of the LGBT community. However, people are becoming more understanding through the preaching from Christians of high influence teaching the basic fundamentals that we must "love thy neighbor" and we should not judge others, no matter the condition whether it be their race or sexuality. One of the biggest breakthroughs to come through in recent times is the Archbishop Desmond Tutu's daughter Mpho Tutu Van Furth, who herself was a priest, came out to the world that she was gay and is now married to her partner. Archbishop Desmond Tutu showed nothing but love and acceptance for his daughter and this has had ground breaking repercussions for many Africans who viewed Desmond Tutu as a spiritual compass and moral compass, if a man of god could accept his daughter then what was stopping the rest of us? Mpho Tutu Van Furth's coming out. I personally feel can promote and give many who are still hiding their sexuality the confidence to come out and finally be a peace with who they truly are without fear of repercussions.

My personal experience with the LGBT community has been very beneficial. I am an African who stands for the rights of the LGBT community; in fact I think it is also what has inspired me to be more involved in all human rights movements. I became aware of the LGBT community at a very young age when I was 6 and living in London, my best friend's uncle is gay. When I first found out as a young African girl new to England I will admit I was very apprehensive but after several encounters with him I instantly eventually warmed up to him and realized there was nothing to be afraid of. As a Christian I still stand by my beliefs about the rights of the LGBT community, I was also part of a church community who accepted the LGBT community with open arms, there I learned that love is unconditional and we must love one another as god loves us. Another experience for me was when my family moved to Malaysia and one of my grade mates who I had formed a close relationship with confessed to me that he was gay, I felt so honored that he would even share this news with me as it was only his family who knew so. I was delighted that he had support from everyone and never faced hate or judgment based on his sexuality, that sadly not everybody gets.

I am very optimistic about the future to come for the LGBT community in Africa. I see that the stigma is not here to stay forever, it is the responsibility of the government and the citizens especially the younger ones to break down the barriers. The government needs to amend their laws- being gay is not a crime and stop arresting them but should actually be punishing those who assault, harass and kill members of the LGBT community. I also hope that with foreign help and campaigns there can be centers and foundations in Africa to cater the LGBT community and their needs, I hope that if they are not getting the love and support they need from home that there can be a place for them where they can find it and truly be themselves. Why live a life in fear and hiding your true emotions and feelings, nobody deserves that. Everyone should be happy and comfortable being in their own skin.