10- Distraction

A/N- Cat on the Balcony has hit 30K, so here's an early update like I promised!! I really appreciate you guys so so much♡♡ Song for today is I'm So Sorry by Imagine Dragons.

Tyler's POV

I was at the park sitting at a picnic table tucked away in the shade of a large tree by myself, nervously fidgeting with my hands.

Josh is supposed to be here in ten minutes, and I still feel weird about the dream I had the other night. I came to the park early, hoping to clear my mind and shake this awkward feeling, but so far it's not working.

I'd never given much thought to my sexuality; I've just always assumed I was straight because I've only found women attractive. But, the Josh comes into the picture and makes me question everything. Am I gay? Bi? Something else?

I groaned a ran a hand through my hair. Stupid Josh, first he stole my gummies and now this. But, at the same time I'm not mad at him anymore. If anything I'm even more curious now than I was before.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I hadn't noticed how much time had passed. So, I was slightly surprised when someone sat down across from me. It jolted me out of my thoughts and made me jump a little bit. Josh noticed this.

"Sorry, didn't mean to startle you," he said with a slight chuckle.

I laughed a little to and looked down at the table. Oh god, I'm being so awkward. Stop being weird Tyler! Say something to the guy! You're going to freak him out and then he'll leave!

"Nah man you're fine. I just didn't hear you walk up is all."

Whoo, good job me. Disaster averted. For now at least.

"So, we spent last time getting to know eachother a bit, but I think we need to discus working together now." He nodded his head in agreement.

"Yeah I agree. First thing I want to ask though, is can I listen to some of your music? I still have no idea what any of it sounds like." He said, propping his arms on the table and leaning on them.

"Oh, yeah of course! Um, here," I pulled my phone and some headphones out of my pocket. I set the phone down on the table, plugged the headphones in, and then handed them to Josh.

He slipped them into his ears as I pulled up my music and clicked a song to play. I let the song play for a minute or so before going on to the next one.

I did the for several songs, giving him a general idea of the variations of music I like to do. Once I finished, he slid the headphones out of his ears and handed them back to me.

"I've never heard anything like those Tyler, they're really good." He said with a completely serious face except for the slight smile.

"Thanks man, I appreciate that. I mean yeah, they're pretty good now, but they'll be so much better with actual drums in them and not little loops I can find on the internet. So are you still interested?" I asked hopefully.

"For sure! It's not like anything I've done before, but that'll be good for me. Expand my horizons and crap as my mom would say." He answered with a grin, revealing the cute little dimples in his cheeks.

I also liked the way his eyes and nose would scrunch up. He's adorable and it's not fair. It's definitely not making it easier for me to shake this crush thing.

"Do you have a place where I can set up my drums? Because I have no room in my tiny apartment and I'd get way too many noise complaints."

"Yeah, my house has a basement with plenty of room."

"Sweet. So...what now?"

"Um, we can go get your drums and get them set up, and then I can send you a few songs to listen to and we can work out the drums for them. It'll mostly be up to you, but I have some ideas about what I would like and such. Does that sound ok?"

"Sounds good to me! Let's get going then, I'm parked over on the left side of the lot, I'm driving an old black Chevy truck. You can follow me back to my apartment, and then I'll follow you back to your place."

We stood up and made our way back to the parking lot, making small talk as we did so. We got into our cars and went to Josh's apartment; It wasn't far from here. I parked next to him and followed him inside.

His apartment was small, but nice. It was also cleaner than I expected it to be. I helped him carry his drum set out to his truck and load it into the back, and after that was done we went back to my place.

There was a door in the basement that leads directly outside, so I had Josh pull his car around back so we wouldn't have to carry his stuff down the stairs.

I watched in a kind of awe as I watched him easily assemble and set up everything. I would've helped more, but I had no idea which drum and cymbal went where. I might get him to teach me some stuff at some point, because I'd like to be able to at least play a bit.

Once everything was together, he played a few experimental patterns to make sure everything was to his liking before he declared he was done.

While he had been setting up his drums I had picked out the three songs I wanted us to work on first. I chose Air Catcher, Kitchen Sink, and Friend, Please. I felt like those were good starting points. I played them all the way through for Josh and we discussed a little bit.

I emailed him the songs to listen to a bit more, and we planned to meet again on Saturday since Josh had to work Friday at the local music store.

When he left, I once again felt that little ache in my chest, but I quickly brushed it away. I need to stay focused on the music right now. I don't have the time or effort to put into a relationship right now.

Maybe once everything gets going and I'm actually making money, but right now I can't afford any distractions.

No matter how cute that distraction is.