Mountain of Memories *

Calvin's frustration grew as he listened to the conversation unfolding before him. The revelation that his mother was the Fae Guard of Evergreen and the reason for their constant moving filled him with a rush of anxiety and confusion. 

He couldn't fathom why his mother would choose to return to a place where he was targeted by magical creatures he had only believed to exist in fiction.

The thought of shadowy pixies relentlessly pursuing him and glittery goo becoming a common sight sent a shiver down his spine. He had fought for his life once against Sean, and he had no desire to fight for the rest of his days.

Slamming his wand onto the table, Calvin couldn't deny that this life wasn't meant for him. Tinaera had chosen the wrong person.

Without a word, Calvin stormed out of the cottage, his friends' voices echoing in his mind. Kicking up dirt, he hurried along a trail, immersing himself in the darkness that enveloped him. Hazel eyes of demons emerged from their abodes, staring at him inquisitively. 

One demon held her child in her arms, wearing a bewildered expression. Whispers filled the air as Calvin found himself surrounded by swaying tails and hushed conversations.

"Is that one of the guards?" a demon asked, uncertainty tainting his voice.

"No, they're all too old, remember?" another demon hissed, correcting his friend.

"It must be Jennifer's spawn."

"The Fae Guard's precious spawn!"

Tinaera pushed through the crowd, accompanied by Shine and Trae. The inhabitants of Mogdor gasped, their collective breath escaping into the air. "Tinaera, who are these humans?" a woman with a child ventured forward, her fellow demons silenced. The sky rumbled with thunder, although not a drop of rain fell.

"Claera will have our necks if these three are spotted here in Mogdor!" a husky demon growled, flicking his sharp tongue in the air. His gaze fixated on their hazel eyes. Tinaera approached him, placing her hand on his chest. She narrowed her eyes, exerting a force that pushed him backward. She hissed at everyone and crouched down, swaying from side to side, her glare fixed on the demons.

The crowd erupted in a thunderous roar, their tails thrashing about.

"Everyone, calm down!" Tinaera bared her teeth. "These humans are the Everguards."

"That's impossible."

"She's lying! There are four guards of Evergreen!" a demon declared, thrusting his fist into the air.

"There are three; one is dead," Tinaera shouted.

"She isn't dead!" Shine struggled to be heard above the clamor.

Calvin noticed Trae covering his ears, overwhelmed by the noise and chaos. Calvin watched as the demons leaped and kicked up black sand, their anger manifesting in wild gestures.

Tinaera, doing her best to restore order, commanded the attention of her family. Behind Calvin, a low growl rumbled, overpowering the sound of thunder.

By the time Calvin rushed to check on Trae, he found him on the ground, overwhelmed and struggling. Sleek black fur spread across Trae's spine and back, his hands transforming into large black paws. A long tail swayed behind him as he lifted his yellow eyes, his fangs bared in a hiss. Calvin instinctively jumped away as Trae moved from side to side, facing the demons before him.

Shine and Calvin turned their attention to their friend, who had become a panther.

Trae's ears twitched as he stood motionless on all fours. The demons fell silent and retreated, creating distance from the shifter standing before them.