Thumb Squeeze *

The burning sensation in his lungs and the pounding headache gradually subsided, allowing Calvin to catch his breath. Clutched tightly in his room, packed away among his belongings, was the teddy bear his mother had given him. 

As he stood there, he slowly immersed himself in the memories it held. Suddenly, footsteps echoed behind him, and a hand gently tapped his shoulder. Calvin spun around, his hands raised in surprise.

A deafening explosion tore through the air, propelling an elderly woman away from Calvin. She landed forcefully in the middle of the street, as if defying gravity. Calvin covered his mouth with his hand, bewildered by the surreal scene that unfolded before him. 

Perhaps it was a strong gust of wind causing such chaos. With no time to waste, he noticed a car hurtling down the street, its engine roaring and tires screeching against the pavement.

Rushing towards the injured lady in the middle of the road, Calvin noticed the blood seeping from her abdomen and the disoriented look in her eyes. Determined, he grasped her arm and side, utilizing newfound strength to assist her. The passing car created a swirl of gravel, assaulting Calvin's face and provoking a fit of coughs. The lady glanced up at him, her trembling hands and slowly parting lips indicating her desperation.

A concerned woman hurried over to their side, her ebony hair contrasting against her golden skin. "She's injured. Help me," the woman pleaded, aiding the suffering lady. She then caught Calvin's attention. "Don't blame yourself for this. It's not your fault."

"I don't know what happened. She approached me from behind, and..." Calvin's words trailed off. He shook his head, narrowing his eyes. "I can't explain it." The woman closed her eyes momentarily, placing her hand on the old lady who seemed to be fading away before them. Her scraped arms attested to the collision with the road, but the wound didn't seem as grave as Calvin initially thought.

"Calvin!" His mother's voice cut through the chaotic scene. "Let's go. Hurry." She rushed towards him, grasping his arm. Calvin resisted, his eyes fixated on the injured lady.

"But that lady, she..." He struggled to find the right words. "She's..."

"She's alive. Lillian will take care of her. They're taking her to the hospital," his mother assured him.

Calvin turned his gaze to the growing crowd surrounding Lillian. Together, they managed to transfer the old lady into a waiting car. How did his mother find him so quickly, at the exact moment? The arrival of the police and an ambulance suggested that someone must have witnessed the incident. What if someone saw what happened? He would be exposed, labeled a murderer, and potentially face imprisonment.

His mother drove him back to Evergreen, and as he settled into bed, Calvin waited for her to fall asleep before sneaking out of his room. Every creak of the floor beneath his feet heightened his anxiety, afraid of arousing his mother. 

Stealthily, he descended the stairs, careful with each step, and slipped out of the house, shutting the door quietly behind him. Darting across the street, Calvin hurriedly knocked on Shine's door. 

The locks clicked, and the doorknob turned as Shine appeared, rubbing her eyes and stifling a yawn. "It's late at night," she croaked, checking behind her. "What's up? You're lucky my mom didn't wake up." Her eyebrows lifted, then narrowed as she stepped outside, closing the door gently.

"I... I did something terrible," Calvin blurted out.

Scanning the surroundings, he hugged himself tightly.

Shine's eyes widened in surprise as she processed his words. "You did what?" Calvin covered her mouth, attempting to silence her, but she continued to mumble, her words muffled.