In the Closet *

The entrance to the Mountain of Memories stood before them, a gateway to restore hope in Reve. As they approached, a sense of being distant travelers washed over them, seeking a map or key to unravel their problems. Doubt gnawed at their thoughts—was this truly the right decision? What awaited them within the depths of this venture?

Whispers tugged at their ears, urging them to silence the echoes. Familiar voices echoed within, evoking a sense of home and security. The mountain's rugged peak pierced the sky, its razor-sharp sides jutting out like blades. Calvin surveyed the three other mountains surrounding them, emerging ominously from the dark clouds.

With a deep breath, Shine stepped forward, her resolve unyielding. Calvin trailed behind, his inner turmoil concealed from view.

"It shouldn't be too challenging to navigate through," Shine assured herself, her voice resounding down the tunnel. Glittering blue rocks adorned the ceiling, casting a gentle, ethereal glow reminiscent of glowworm-lit caves. Calvin and Shine treaded in silence, passing a massive, flat wall layered with crust. Calvin cast a sidelong glance, marvelling at its remarkable clarity.

Shine narrowed her eyes as Calvin curiously tapped the wall. "It resembles glass, yet it is not."

"It's just a rock, Calvin, a flat wall of rock," she replied, steadying her wand. One wrong move, a flicker askew, and the entire mountain could come crashing down. "It's akin to the clearness of diamonds."

"Well, considering we're in a new world... maybe it's normal for mountains?" Calvin mumbled.

They observed their reflections as they traversed the cave's tunnel. The mirrored wall mirrored their every step, silently observing their progress through its hollow abode. Their boots crunched on the ground, while raindrops from above drummed on their hoods.

Calvin felt the moisture trickle down his neck, dampening his back. As they reached another cluster of transparent rocks nestled against the cave walls, they paused to admire the scene.

Calvin turned, only to be met by his own piercing blue eyes and unruly brown hair sticking to his cheeks. His mouth parted, realizing the predicament they faced.

"Shine?" he called out, his voice rebounding off the clear rocks, yet no response reached him.

With each turn and each breath, Calvin found himself trapped in the cave with his own reflection. The shimmering blue rocks above sprinkled their enchanted dust, rendering him immobilized. Calvin pressed his palm against the clear rocks beside him, struggling to breathe. The rock's glare distorted his face, etching wrinkles and cracks upon his visage.

As he stepped on the muddy ground beneath him, his movements became sluggish.

Calvin glowered at his boots, sinking into quicksand! "Help!" He waved his arms frantically. "Shine!" His wand slipped from his grasp, plummeting to the ground, while the sand crept up to his waist. His heart pounded in his chest, his breaths erratic.

He clawed at the black mud, desperate to free himself, only to worsen his plight. The sand slithered up to his neck, the blue dust from above invaded his eyes, distorting his vision.

Soon, Calvin found himself gasping for air, his gaze meeting his own reflection.

The sand swallowed him whole, and everything faded into an eerie darkness.