A Gooey Mess *

The heavy scent of hand sanitizer assaulted Calvin's nostrils, filling the air with an overwhelming sense of clinical cleanliness. The cacophony of sounds enveloped him, from the monotonous beeping of the heart monitor to the hushed conversations of nurses outside his room. The sterile hospital smell had roused him from his slumber, his body sore and aching from the ordeal.

Slumped in a chair beside his bed, his mother's face was buried in her knees, consumed by worry. When she looked up, lines of concern etched deep on her face, she hurried to his side, assuming the role of a doctor. Her voice brimmed with concern as she examined him, her hands gentle yet searching for any signs of pain.

"Tell me where it hurts," she urged, her voice growing more urgent as she checked his sides and hands. "Can you move your fingers for me?" Her worry etched deeper into her features.

Calvin, no stranger to fights and pain, brushed her hands away. "Mom, I'm fine," he protested. "You're not a doctor."

Sighing, his mother gently rubbed his forehead before placing her palm against his cheek.

"Was it another guy at school?" she whispered.

Her blonde hair cascaded down her shoulders, and her deep blue eyes, reminiscent of the calm ocean hiding a brewing storm, met his gaze.

Frowning, she continued, "Who was it? I'm getting his ass expelled." Her sudden shift from calm to fierce resembled an unpredictable ocean, alternating between tranquility and a raging hurricane.

"Mom, it's okay," Calvin whined.

Rolling her eyes, she clasped her hands on his bed rail. "No, it's not okay, Calvin!" She covered her mouth, taking a deep breath. "I don't want you going to that school anymore. We're leaving." Her gaze flickered away from her son. "You are... my child. I'm supposed to keep you safe." Crossing her arms, she added, "You weren't safe."

Calvin sank into the plush pillows behind him. "I can't keep running from who I am," he muttered, glancing up at her before she opened the door. "I don't want to leave again. I hate being the new kid in school," he grumbled. "We're always leaving when I start to make new friends." He looked away. "Well, at least when I try making new ones." It was challenging to make friends when he stood out from the crowd.

His mother took a step back, concern etching lines on her face. Calvin watched as she placed her hand over her heart, her gaze briefly shifting towards the mirror in the room.

Noticing her frown, Calvin's curiosity was piqued. It mirrored the expression she wore when he declined to go to the homecoming dance or when he transitioned from a balance bike to a teenage bike and took a tumble.

Her lips pressed together softly. "Listen to me. Your safety is what matters most to me. Do you realize that guy could have killed you?" Her eyes narrowed. "You suffered head trauma—do you know how dangerous that is?" Her voice cracked, and tears trickled down her cheeks.

Calvin squinted up at her, wanting to say something—anything—to halt their perpetual movement.

His mother threw her hands up in frustration. "I don't care, we're leaving," she declared. Sighing, she wiped her face, heading toward the door. She glanced back at the heart monitor.

"Jennifer, I have some paperwork for you to fill out for your son," a nurse interrupted, partially opening the door. His mother's attention shifted towards the doorway, and she excused herself, slipping out.

His savior entered the room, confirming Calvin's earlier assumption about his pierced face.

The guy grinned. "You left your backpack behind, so I thought I'd drop it off," he said, placing the item on the chair. "Glad you're okay. I saw those guys chasing you towards the train station. I couldn't let them get to you." Silence hung awkwardly in the air.